DAW to Tape output problem

Jzoha18

Hello, i know this might annoy a few of you but make this simple, Im trying to record audio out of my DAW into a Tascam 112rmkii for certain effects the cassette will have on the audio good or bad. My issue is simple, I cant get a clean line out to run into my deck without a load of problems. To start the 1/8th line out jack on the back of my PC has the greatest single but the PC Tower introduces a noticeable level of white noise that makes the transfer very dirty. Im not trying to add anymore noise then the tape will already add. My audio interface is a Behringer UMC404hd which has Playback outputs that are RCA but that introduces an even larger wall of static noise when audio is playing. Is there something im missing? I need a clean line out from my computer to run into the deck that doesn't add interference. I havent tried the Main outs of the USB interface because i assumed that would blow up my deck. How can i get this done. i have a cassette album release coming and need to find a method for dumping to tape soon! thank you!

Your deck has record level (input) contols. So you can control how much you're feeding the inputs. Use the main outs of the interface and monitor off the deck. I see no reason why you'd 'blow' up your deck.

On your PC are you running some kind of internal souncard?

Try using the balanced XLR output on the Behringer and the balanced XLR input on the Tascam. Forget all that 1/8" and RCA connector stuff.

Forget the RCA and 1/4 and using adapters...just got XLR to XLR...doesn't your cassette deck have them on the back....I'm sure it does, so does your Behringer.

[EDIT]
I guess if your deck doesn't have the optional balancing kit, you're stuck with the RCA....

Anyway...if you are using adapters, you need to make sure they are not part of the problem...and make sure you have all your connections and levels correct.
There shouldn't be lots of noise...something is not right.

The adapters are fine. The computer seems to just be noisey. The USB interface gave me the same noise the internal soundcard gave

I thought it was advisable -if not necessary to disable the internal sound card when using as external one?
Can you get any normal clean playback out of the main outs?

Generally any interface replaces the soundcard. Anything audio within the computer should be disabled.

Not into the tape deck. Through my monitors it's fine. is the RCA being unbalanced why?

If you are running an internal soundcard, what is powering your monitors??????

I smell user error, I'd bet something in the way you have it all hooked up is causing your problems.

I suggest giving a full breakdown of how everything is hooked up, as that would help someone with diagnosing your problem.

"Through my monitors it's fine." So have you tried recording the monitor feed on tape? (with nod to RFR) .

Yes, a diagram of the setup would be useful. I have a scanner but you can draw it out on A4 then use a digital camera to snap and attach it. (of course, you might be one of those clever illegitimates that can do it all in the PC..I ain't!)

RCA (phono) is an unbalanced connection but this should not cause 'hiss'. Hum maybe. I suspect you are sending the cassette deck far too much level. Are you using (does it have?) ASIO drivers for the Behringer interface?

Dave.

If you are running an internal soundcard, what is powering your monitors??????

I smell user error, I'd bet something in the way you have it all hooked up is causing your problems.

I suggest giving a full breakdown of how everything is hooked up, as that would help someone with diagnosing your problem.
My normal setup is my USB Interface connected to my monitors for digital audio. My Soundcard on my motherboard isnt disabled but my computer isn't monitoring from the internal card. Only the Interface. All I'm simply doing is running an RCA from either/or sources to the back of my deck and monitoring through the deck. The only semi successful method was actually the Internal card but it still has noise and I don't think it's really meant for this kind of work as it's not a card designed for recording. Just a stock motherboard Soundcard. As for the USB interface making a huge amount of noise. You think that could be because the internal card isnt disabled?

"DAW to Tape output problem " Just noticed the semantics of that is wrong?

Is it "DAW to tape INPUT" or " To DAW FROM tape Output" ? I thing the OBS is a red fish here but it only takes a minute to disable it in Control Panel.

Then, what about drivers? Unless ASIO, Windows has control and 'generic' USB audio devices need their levels trimmed, often quite a lot!

As for 'OBS not suitable for recording'? Crapshoot. This i3 HP g6 lappy gives remarkably good results with a Berry UCA 202 within its 16 bit limitations, more than good enough for cassette dubs! I have another BM-800 trash priced mic and that is really not that foul using the 3.5mm input. SOMEtimes.."Ain't wot yer do..." or even what you DO it with!

Pictures! dBFS noise numbers PLEASE!

Dave.

All I'm simply doing is running an RCA from either/or sources to the back of my deck and monitoring through the deck.

Stop...take a breath. :)

If you can confirm that the same audio output signal is clean and pure when you connect it to your monitors...I mean the exact same set of outputs with the same cables going to the monitors...
...and then you take them and go to the deck, and you get all this noise...then there is something wrong at the deck.

You have to make some clear tests, and track it down to where/when the noise starts. If you are connecting and crisscrossing and using different outputs and inputs...then it's hard to narrow down the problem.
Once you narrow it down, you know where/when it happens and then see if you can sort it out.
Also...double check your levels...make sure you are not overloading the deck.

If it does happen at the deck...try connecting something totally different to the deck's inputs, if you have some other playback/output piece of audio gear that has noting to do with the computer. See if the same thing happens.

Narrow it down....don't make assumptions about what is causing the noise.

Here I'll explain better. My apologies. I can confirm the deck itself is not the culprit. I suspect this because Ive used this deck for mixdown from multitrack cassette without these symptoms of noise and Interference. This is using the same generic RCA to RCA cables I'm trying to use now. Also with the deck on and plugged into my monitors from the output of the deck. The noise only appears when a RCA to 1/8 or RCA to RCA is connected to the tape Input. So it seems I can't get a line out from my PC to go into the tape Input on the back of the deck without the noise. The deck has never made these noises plugged into any other gear. I'm pretty positive the noise source is the PC output

When you say "PC output"...are talking about the 1/8" output from the onboard soundcard....or are you talking about the output from the external interface?

I would forget the 1/8" from the PC...that's not a good choice, and absolutely no reason to even try when you have a proper external interface.

If you take the interface output, and go to your monitors...is there noise?
Now, take the SAME interface outputs to the deck...is there noise?

I won't be home til about mid afternoon but I can try to provide images when I'm home. What's this OBS you speak of? I'm running asio drivers for the external card. Not sure about the internal

Yes I'm referring to the 1/8" from the onboard card. And the external interface's main outs connected to my monitors with balanced TRS is very quiet. When I swap the balanced TRS for RCA to 1/4" adapters going into my tape input the audio became muffled underneath an even larger totally unlistenable wall of hiss and white noise. Even worse then the onboard card with the 1/8". The interface so far has performed fine plugged into my monitors by itself for PC Audio.

Back