DAVEMANIA: 3rd FREE Edition RELEASED: SETS NEW RECORDS: BEATS ALL EXPECTATIONS:

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
This [crosspost] is a thanx to everyone who picked up DAVEMANIA on this board.
=================================

DAVEMANIA: 3rd FREE Edition RELEASED: SETS NEW RECORDS: BEATS ALL EXPECTATIONS: 4th FREE Edition ANNOUNCED!

=================================
THE OFFICIAL THANK YOU MEMO:

Thanx again, to everyone who participated in the Davemania free 4-cd set project. The 3rd Free Edition was just released, 2/7/02, worldwide.

The 3rd edition, being [30] 4-cd sets in 8 weeks, is a production record for me. It's more discs than either the 1st or 2nd edition, in less time. TA-DA! [fanfare].

That meets or beats my own targets, and exceeds my wildest expectations, -to have shipped that many friggin' discs: [80] 4-cd sets, 320 CDs total, since last July.

Believe it or not, burning 320 CDs, printing and hand cutting twice that many cards, is quite a bit of work,... not to mention the years that went into actual production of the basic tracks. THE DAVEMANIA COLLECTION: 3CD DAVE ANTHOLOGY + SPECIAL BONUS DISC was a great success, again, thanx to HRcom/bbs, and HRcom members.

It's been a great pleasure having done the Davemania cd project. It was lots of fun saying "All me/All free/Worldwide" all the time, and being all true, it's been fun having exclusive bragging rights to that, here at HRcom.

Even though I paid for this cd project all myself, out of pocket, I never pursued music as a money making venture, anyway. I've done it just for fun, and to spread good vibes out among the HRcom bbs community.

-I never expected it to turn into the Frankenstein's monster that it did!

Like I said before, on first release, I thought 10-15 copies would cover all the interested HRbbs people, the 3 people I made the discs for, and my family members for Christmas, too! Boy, was I wrong! Anyway, response has been great, and requests have been many, and the 3rd Free Edition of Davemania is a done-deal. Discs have already begun hitting the streets.

The most I'd hope for, is that you value it as good, down-home, rock & roll funtime music,... like party band music,... and that you'll all participate in the 'tape swap' of cd/tape mixes, a dual theme of Davemania.

Thanx to everyone who's listened to THE DAVEMANIA COLLECTION, commented or criticized, along the way. /DA

===============
ANNOUNCEMENT: 4TH FREE EDITION of THE DAVEMANIA COLLECTION: 4CD SET - NOW AVAILABLE!
===============

HRcombbs members, I'm announcing the 4th and final free edition of Davemania. I'm kickin' in another 20 copies, free 4-cd set of DAVEMANIA, & calling it quits at 100. After that, you're on your own. If there are any people who didn't get in on Davemania in July, December, or February, now's likely the last chance. Pls email requests to me at d.archuleta@att.net

-If you're new to this board, or have been in a cave outside Kabul, THE DAVEMANIA COLLECTION is a gigantic collection of home recorded covers: lots of Beatles, 70's music, & stuff like that, that runs 5 hours & 10 minutes. For more gratuitous, self promoting hype, pls check my previous posts.

================

;)
/DA

===============
===============
3RD EDITION DAVEMANIACS:
-[3rd edition just shipped]
-
Chris L [AR]
FMMahoganyrush [CT]
Version2 [OK]
Comer [OH]
badgas [WA]
Al T [WA]
Chris D [CA]
Village Idiot [MI]
David G [MS]
Russell C [MD]
Roel [BELGUIM]
dragonworks [NY]
Mike J [AUSTRALIA]
Tim H [NETHERLANDS]
Chris S [OR]
Gary [IL]
Jaime [WA]
heylow [WI]
David A [FL]
Bruce V [CANADA]
Voxvendor [CANADA]
Keith M [TX]
Lee R [MO]
Dawn S [IN]
PilotGav [CANADA]
jcspro [OH]
drstawl [CA]
Dale C [CO]
Nathan P [IRELAND]

=================
1ST & 2ND EDITION DAVEMANIACS:
-[1st edition/July, 2nd edition/December '01]
-
aaronjr- CANADA
cyberdragon1- FL
dtb- VA
cterry- OH
lrobins- IN
kennyboy- AL
randalb- AR
hlblyhipy- PA
Slipdiscmusic- AL
Allen C- CA
mmcdonald- KS
getuhgrip- KY
cswhite- WA
Kelly Holdridge- AL
hilltopstudios- PA
screens- TX
The Green Hornet- MI
Queue- MD
A1CREATEADISC- IN
SmithP- CANADA
krystof- England, UK
G-man- CA 92111
shem_w- WA
Tom T- TX
Bill A- CA
cyrokk- FL
zekeman- AR
themartins3- OK
Weismann- PA
mike_p- TX
Melvin B- AZ
paty- FL
Henri Devill- FL
Emeric- CANADA
HUMANNOISE- MO
Robert E- AUSTRALIA
LWStudio- WALES, UK
8TRACKMIND- CA
nitronick_2000- OK
jitteringjim- GA
docwilson50- WY
hero bot- TX

and to my friends:
Zach
DJ
Manny
Ralph
Steven
Ryan
Kevin
Brian
Amy

Hmmm....

Dave....

Help me out here... I can appreciate the work you did putting it all together, the CDs, the printing, the mailing --- but c'mon......... you say this glorifies home-recording? In what way???

I'll tell you what I was expecting -- I was anticipating hearing an example of someone taking the time to put their best efforts together that exemplifies what can be done on budget analog gear.

Instead, I got some very good songs covered VERY badly with no regard for tempo, timing, performance, tone, or even record engineering (although I would have forgiven the last point since you already said it was done on budget analog.)

Now I had a few tip-offs (the sheer number of songs being one of them), as well as a quick comment you made once indicating you thought that pros may not like it. But, call me an optimist, I was hoping the hype was merited.

Hell, we all have 4-track demos sitting on Radio Shack low-bias cassettes that we've done when we were teens, where our motivation was a lot stronger and higher than our talent --- question is, what would prompt anyone to hype them and show them to the world???

This may sound harsh, but when you posted last time, you kinda goaded me into taking a listen, and I promised I would listen and post my honest opinion, so there it is.

I'll say one thing though -- it does take some HUGE balls to hype DAVEMANIA like you have been doing and then send THAT out.... I give you a big thumbs up for that!

Keep at it though, I guess... as long as it makes *you* happy, that's all that really counts!

Cheers,

Bruce

Last edited:
Bruce...

Come on, you gotta Feel a little Rosy for Dave.. This man spent probably over $100 to get his hobby out to the masses for free..

He obviously loves his music and wants to get it across.. i totally admire him for that...

I know he asked for your opinion and you gave it to him, thats fair.. and it was a very honest opinion....

But you sort of come across as feeling inconvienienced that you had to take the time to listen....(If im wrong about that, sorry in advance)

Yeah, it's not the the quality, that comes out of your Studio or My studio, but the man is doing the best he can, and offereng it for free....

Bruce, I like you and I think you like me, and hey, were fellow Canadians, so I hope my post here doesn't piss you off...

The Critique was Fair, He asked for it.. but why all the "Harsh" comments?... (if there is a good reason, then I apoligize for that also in advance)..

You didn't have to tell him that you and a client were laughing at his stuff... Im sure that did not help his love for his hobby...

I DO think it golorifies home recording... Remember "real" home recording isn't what you and I do, Bruce... the typical Home recorder, DOES use a 4 track or 8 track and records stuff along the same lines as Dave...

I felt obligated to post my feelings...., Sorry If i've offended you with this post Bruce...

Joe

No worries Joe...

I'm not sure where the "inconvenienced for listening" comes from, 'cos I definitely don't feel that way. Dave sent it, I listened, and provided my opinion.

I DO admire Dave for putting his stuff out there at all, but I'm still curious what he gets out of doing so, not to mention the cost! And why hype it SO much then???

I do agree about that last comment, on second look, it is unwarranted, and although I didn't mean it dispiritedly, I take it back... (and so edited it out!)

Bruce

Bruce, Thanx for listening, thanx for your comments, and thanx for participating...

in the Davemania cd project. Your comments have been noted.

For each listener, I get a unique comment or spin, so thanx for putting your comments and spin in on this thread. Sorry you didn't like it, and that you find nothing of redeeming redeeming value in it, but thanx for listening anyway.

Bruce, this is a wide-open world, and you're free to make your choices, but I hardly think I 'goaded' you into getting my cd collection. I can appreciate that after I hyped it so much, that you were curious, and that's okay,... but goaded? No. It's a free world, and we all make our free choices. Thanx again for your comments, despite your trashing me outright, and thanx for participating in the Davemania free cd project.

Vox, thanx for the kind words, etc, and thanx to you too, for participating in the Davemania project.

Hey, I'm not looking for a brownie button, or anything. I'm just doing this for fun, and hope that listeners will have fun listening, too, despite it's many flaws, and maybe have a sense of humor.

Bruce, you may not like my discs, in the least, but many people do, and that just shows how superior you must be, to most other people on this board, which is what I figured all along. Pls send me some of your best mixes, as 'tape-swap' is a dual theme of the Davemania project, and thanx again for participating in this SHAMEFUL MESS I call "Davemania".

===================

/DA

Dave... you're right "goaded" was a poor choice of words... and I suppose my entire post above is a bit reactive to the hype that YOU put up around your stuff....

As I said - I was hoping you were going to surprise me...

Here's a sample mix from me -->

It's a working mix of the version I put together for MixFest (from RO) a couple of months -- it's not my final submission, but was a smoother version that I still like.

No animosity on my part Dave, and as I said, if it pleases you, then that's all that really counts.

Bruce

First let me say Thanks Dave for sending me your collection of recordings.

Is this the best sounding recordings I have ever heard NO
Is this the best playing I have ever heard No
But on a scale of 1 to 10 I would have to give the whole thing a 9
Just for the work that went in to all of it, The balls it took to do it.
and for a great effort.
In some ways I like these recordings better then alot of the highly polished
over produced stuff i hear now days that I cant decide if its real or some
kid thats 16 that owns acid loops.
I am curious as to the recording equipment used dave i did not see that anywhere
could you tell us more about that.
Keep up the good work Dave and again thank you for your recordings.

Gary H Wilcoxson
Normal Il

Bruce, thanx & no hard feelings. Sorry that I snapped at you too.

I don't begrudge your reply, however unpleasant your reaction might be. Of course it's disappointing to me that you wouldn't like my stuff, or that it would not meet your expectations, but that's real life.

Thanx for taking the time to listen to my cds, for your honest, well thought out comments, and for participating in the Davemania cd project. No hard feelings, Bruce, and sorry for crossposting the original HYPE memo 12 times, last July, which got many people really irate. It was my mistake to do so, for sure, and I understand that now.

PS: Bruce, I'll check your web link to your song, and please let that bear in from the cold, it's turned blue!

============

Gary,

Thanx for your supportive comments. I'm glad you liked the cds, and/or that you find something of redeeming value in them.

Thanx also for signing your real name, 'cause without it, I never would have figured out who "Herm" was. I didn't get your screen name on my name list originally, -probably just an oversight-, but I'll make note of it. Since you're an HRcom Newbie, I'll say, welcome to HRcom, and please stay around & visit often, 'cause it's a fun & interesting board.

Thanx again for the positive/supportive comments, I'm glad you liked the discs, and thank you very much for participating in the Davemania project. Pls participate in the voluntary tape-swap, the dual theme of the Davemania project.

;) :) /DA

PS: Gary/Herm,

I'll work up a memo that details recording/production technique, for all songs, and email it directly to you, and anyone else who's interested. Thanx for asking, it's a good point, and I'm sure other people may be curious about specifics. I'm glad you like the cds, and can appreciate it for what it's worth, no pun intended. Thanx again for participating in the Davemania cd project.

T/Y later, Dave.

Dave....

Your collection made me go through my archive of 4-track stuff that I consider to be horrible....

Here's a cover of Pink Floyd's Money that I did back in 89 with a cassette 4-track (Fostex), mixed to Hi-Fi VHS.... it's not good by ANY stretch of the imagination, but it really illustrates why I had higher expectations of your stuff when you hyped it so much.... something at least along the lines of my clip and I wouldn't have been so hard on ya! ;)

On this clip, note the exaggerated and overused effects of delay and reverb that is typical of many novices, and I was no exception! If I recall correctly, the drums were done with 3 mics -- some unknown flavour of Audio Technica, along with a mod'ed Realistic PZM. Vocals also done with the PZM. Reverbs used on the drums were a borrowed Lexicon -- vocals was some gawdawful ART thing. The only pres used were the ones on-board the cassette multitrack (a Fostex 280 if I'm not mistaken). I cut and pasted the cash register from the original Floyd record and manually sync'd it to the cassette. You can also note the modulation noise produced by hiFi VHS on the opening cash register sound clip.

I was proud of it at the time... now I find it hard to listen to!

Don't laugh too hard!

Bruce

PS -- if anyone else wants to jump in with clips of their "formative engineering years", please do so, so I don't sound so silly!!! ;)

Bruce, thanx for that, and I'll listen to this tune.

Your critique and criticizm is duly noted, and is much appreciated.

I'm sorry my stuff didn't meet your expectations, but I assure you, I'm practicing as much as I can in my off time, and I'll someday work on something of a more highly produced and polished nature.

If it's really that horrible, maybe you could post those discs back to me, and I'll send it out to some other user, or hold onto it yourself, whichever you like.

I'll listen to that mp3 tune, asap, and I'm sure it will sound pretty cool. Pls participate in the voluntary 'tape-swap', and if you have a Blue-Bear cd, I'd surely like to hear it. Thanx for the review, and thanx again for participating in the Davemania cd project.

/DA

Back