Dang it!!! Cut it out!!! Big photos in threads!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beck

Please stop putting oversize photos in threads. It has the effect of shutting them down. It does for me anyway. If I have to scroll back and forth horizontally to read each line in each post I typically won't read much and normally don't reply in it.

You can resize them and/or provide a link to a bigger pic if needed.

Thank you :)

I just zoom out when its too big...ctrl+scroll-wheel down.

Tim...you're saying I...I can't...link my hi-res pics in my threads anymore?? :(

I think any picture 1200 pixels wide or less in width should be OK on a decent sized monitor...22" and over.

If you're on a laptop with a 1024 x 768 screen, I could see how almost any picture above 800 pixels wide might cause trouble.

Get bigger monitors, people! :drunk:

Cheers! :)

Get one of those 30" iMacs! I nearly went blind when I saw one with that LED brightness turned up all the way! I had to put on some :cool:

If the picture dosen't fit on one of those then theres a bit of a problem! ;)

Unless you are a photographer.

Hear, hear! Scale 'em down, folks. Have some consideration for those of us less well-heeled (or who spent all the money on gear and are now broke.)

...If I have to scroll back and forth horizontally to read each line in each post I typically won't read much and normally don't reply in it.
:)
It's time to upgrade to a magic wall ....heh heh heh
(see attached)
:D:drunk::D

Attachments

• magic wall.jpg
    magic wall.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 64
Tim...you're saying I...I can't...link my hi-res pics in my threads anymore?? :(

LOL :D Well that would be like asking Tigger to stop bouncing (If you don't have kids you probably won't get that.) :)

Yeah, it's a resolution thing. But I'm noticing other members having to compensate...
I see people
making there
lines of text shorter
like this, so
People don't have to scroll. ;)

Some of us deliberately keep our resolution at a reasonable midpoint because we don't want to be declared legally blind at some point in our golden years. ;) Mine is set @ 1024 x 768 on my main PC, but no matter where I'm at... laptop, or a friend's PC, etc, I have the same issue with having to scroll on this site.

We can do all kinds of things to compensate... zoom, use add-ons, etc, but IMO the most common response from people that are experiencing the same problem will be to move on to another thread... or another forum altogether because it's a PITA. :eek:

I've always used lower res pics for posting and a link to the full size if needed. Just something to think about. :)

Maybe vBulletin 4 will fix it... or are we already using it? :confused:

LOL :D Well that would be like asking Tigger to stop bouncing (If you don't have kids you probably won't get that.) :)

Yeah, it's a resolution thing. But I'm noticing other members having to compensate...
I see people
making there
lines of text shorter
like this, so
People don't have to scroll. ;)

Some of us deliberately keep our resolution at a reasonable midpoint because we don't want to be declared legally blind at some point in our golden years. ;) Mine is set @ 1024 x 768 on my main PC, but no matter where I'm at... laptop, or a friend's PC, etc, I have the same issue with having to scroll on this site.

We can do all kinds of things to compensate... zoom, use add-ons, etc, but IMO the most common response from people that are experiencing the same problem will be to move on to another thread... or another forum altogether because it's a PITA. :eek:

I've always used lower res pics for posting and a link to the full size if needed. Just something to think about. :)

Maybe vBulletin 4 will fix it... or are we already using it? :confused:

I understand...I really do.

Our camera is a 3mp...I take pics at full resolution and then the handy app that came with the camera has three scale settings and the smallest seems too small and the medium (the one I use) is just a bit too big.

Its a habit thing at this point and a convenience thing, but...there are other ways and I certainly don't want anybody "moving on" from the forum...I'll do my part and see what I can do.

I've posted at many forums over the years and I think this is the only one recent years that doesn't scale down photos to a certain size (some make thumbnails while others scale to fit well in the post and in either case you click the photo for full-size).

Personally, on this forum having large photos is welcome because I look for fine details (especially with pics of a PCB or, for example, a recent photo of an oscilloscope setup where I needed to see knob settings as well as details of the trace). I'm also using a 23" Apple Cinema display and have lousy eyesight so I'm a bit biased. That said, it could get annoying having to scroll sideways to read a whole thread because someone posted a giant pic of their dog or something.

Surprised the forum doesn't perform the resizing automatically. Pretty simple and standard code for image resizing and aspect ratio.

Should be a user cp setting though. I prefer the larger images.

Surprised the forum doesn't perform the resizing automatically. Pretty simple and standard code for image resizing and aspect ratio.

Should be a user cp setting though. I prefer the larger images.

I'll look into this... Maybe it's a feature that just needs to be turned on.

Well, they DO get auto resized when they are attached to the post, but I host all my images elsewhere and use the link image function...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back