Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Currently made cassettes?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    Dang. That is really unfortunate and might kill the resurgence in tape recording.
    Perhaps, but not if we can use Type I, which Findlay and ecc83 suggest we can.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Found it! Was W.World.
    I have not had a good read through yet but he does mention using the 70uS replay time constant.

IIRC the whole piece is a very revealing tour-de-force on the design process for a low noise recorder.

Posting F? Would not be a lot I would not think for a few grammes ? I post small parcels to my son in Nth. France quite often and even air mail they cost me under a tenner.

Dave.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    I think the fact that the dbx gives so much headroom helps with the time constant also. I can't seem to download your attachment at the moment Dave but will look with great interest when I can. But I can't emphasize how good type 1 is on these rebiased machines. Great Freq response zero noise fewer if any dbx artefacts and best of all no dropouts. I always got these with type II.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Findlay View Post
    I think the fact that the dbx gives so much headroom helps with the time constant also. I can't seem to download your attachment at the moment Dave but will look with great interest when I can. But I can't emphasize how good type 1 is on these rebiased machines. Great Freq response zero noise fewer if any dbx artefacts and best of all no dropouts. I always got these with type II.
    If you Google "low noise cassette project Wireless World" I am sure you will find it.

One type One I used as well was TDK AD. This needed a very high bias but was almost as good as SA but a bit cheaper. AD was just as good for "rock and pop" and I reserved my SAs for critical classical music.
    Might still be some NOS about?

Ooo!> TDK AD - 1984 - EU - Blank Cassette - New & Sealed

Note, with any old cassette bought I strongly suggest it is put into fast wind ASAP to make sure it has not de-natured

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Posting F? Would not be a lot I would not think for a few grammes ?
    You, Sir, are a saint. I gratefully yield to your generosity. PM coming up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Now, a looooong time ago a very emminent chap called J Lyndsly Hood did a series of articles (wireless world?) about constructing a stereo cassette deck. He did tests and found that bog S t1 tape was sufficently improved that it worked BETTER at the T2 70microsecond EQ.
    Far be it from me to go against advice from John Linsley Hood but in my experience you need pretty good type 1 tapes to be able to use them with 70us Eq. Cheap type 1 tapes saturate too easily at high frequencies and even expensive type 1 tapes can't handle high frequencies at levels much more than -10dB (ref 200nWb/m). That's why cassette deck frequency response tends to be specified at -20dB(ref 200nWb/m).
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
    Far be it from me to go against advice from John Linsley Hood but in my experience you need pretty good type 1 tapes to be able to use them with 70us Eq. Cheap type 1 tapes saturate too easily at high frequencies and even expensive type 1 tapes can't handle high frequencies at levels much more than -10dB (ref 200nWb/m). That's why cassette deck frequency response tends to be specified at -20dB(ref 200nWb/m).
    I quite agree James but the JLH deck was aimed at domestic hi fi users? They would have been recording FM broadcasts (did a LOT of that 30yrs ago!) and the odd black disc, neither of which sources have extreme HF levels plus the user is in control of levels.
    The OP's deck also has DBX so there should be no need to hit the tape hard? If indeed these cassttes ARE the old Maxell formulation they should be a cut above and if perchance some TDK AD can be found that is virtually type ll for bias and HF squash!

Whatever, I hope to get a sample off to him today.

Dave.

Thanks
    This might be of interest, though I don't know if 90 minutes is too thin for these machines:
    ATR Magnetics ProChrome Master Cassette C90 – Thomann UK
    If I read that right they're NOS, but still type II.

Thanks
    C90s work fine with the 244. I always got fewer dropouts with them. These cassettes seem to be using BASF chrome though. A great tape but I never got good results on the 244 with it. Probably ok if you re-bias for it but then you might as well bias for Type I!

Thanks
    Well! Waddaya know!? In the Scope shop an hour ago and spotted 4 5packs of TDK SA still in original shrink wrap!

Pound a freakin' pack! (gave 'em a blue 'n) I told the guy that they were selling them far too cheaply and they should easily get £5.00 a pack. "Been hanging around forever" the guy said and he wanted rid.

They HAVE to be the real deal. Identical to my Old OS! I shall put one through the Sony S later today.

Now, I shall never need the other 15 tapes so put your orders in gentlemen. I want to make a small profit after postage then give that to Scope. Or, more eaily all round? I will post out the tapes and trust peeps to make an appropriate donation to a charity of their choice.

Dave.

Thread Information