CS-607 Rack Refurb

by the third bounce, the sound would be pretty degraded.

Yes, there would be some quality loss but how much or how bad is totally subjective. I personally would do a test bounce or two, even if it's just with one instrument and then decide for yourself how far you want to go..

Your other option would be to do an external bounce, to a half or quarter track recorder running at 15ips or even to a CD recorder or sound-card line in of your computer. This will afford you better quality than internally bouncing on the 388.

Basically you fill up all the 8 tracks on your 388, bounce that to an 'external' recorder, whatever that might be and then take that mix, take it back to your 388, using 7/8, for example, then fill the other 6 tracks, bounce that to your 'external' recorder again or just mix those 6 with the 7/8 .... etc... etc....

The trick to getting better quality out of those bounces is to go externally to a better quality 'recorder', which means wider track / higher speed tape deck, good CD recorder or good sound card, which will retain more of your original sound while keeping noise down.

Another trick is to slightly boost the highs when bouncing [from the tape machine] to retain the high end better.

Another option, one which doesn't use bouncing, is to use less mics for your setup....

--

Don't worry about the "hijack". Its all good. The bigger concern is that all the good dialogue is hiding under a dubious title related to a rack stand... :D

Another suggestion on your bouncing:

Track and bounce like instrument types, i.e. track all your drum and percussion instruments together, then all your guitars, then keys, then vox...that sort of thing. That way you'll be able to, say, pull the drums/percussion up or down in the mix or eq or add effects to that group without effecting a guitar for instance...like:

1st tracking pass
1. Kick
2. Snare
3. OH
4. Drum Room mic
5. tambourine
6. Acoustic Guitar (scratch/guide track)
(you need to leave 7/8 open so you can have somewhere to put your mixdown of these tracks)

then I'd mix those and bounce them to tracks 7/8

2nd tracking pass
1. Electric Guitar
2. acoustic guitar (final track)
3. Mandolin
4. bass
(you need to leave 5/6 open so you can put your mixdown of these tracks, along with what you've got on 7/8, somewhere)

then I'd mix 1,2,3,4 together with 7/8 and dump that all on 5/6.

3rd tracking pass
1. Lead Vocal A
2. Lead Vocal B
3. Harmony Vocal
4. Theramin Track (of course)

Just an idea.

Good recommendation of grouping of the instruments, Cory....

Yeah, this topic, with regard to the 388, mixer, bouncing, should be under a different thread 'cause it's especially valuable on its own....

Say, tascaman, what say you start a thread titled, say, "TASCAM 388 bouncing" or something to that effect and then copy / paste all the stuff since you posted here, so like from when you asked about the remote control to the bouncing etc....... so that we could continue from that fresh thread 'cause somethin' tells me it's gonna take off like wild fire.

Let's keep Cory's CS-607 thread as is and move your info to another thread, OK? Sound good?

Ok.

But with different members posting different responses, should I just write

Cjacek said: "....."

Sweetbeats said: "...."

?

It'll be probably easier if you could just multi-quote the responses and copy and paste those, as they happened. That way they'll be as originally formatted.

EDIT: Just press the button to the right of the 'quote' button, the one which has quotation marks and a + below. Press that button under every post of each person and then just press "post reply' at the very end. That'll open a new window from which you can select all, copy and paste the already formatted messages into a new thread / post.

Hi. I'm an original owner of one of these racks and have had it in storage for years. Just pulled it out the other day with the intention of re-setting up my old recording studio from years ago, but due to space constraints it no longer makes sense to use this rack (I'll just be setting gear on shelves). So what should I do with this rack? Is it worth anything? It's in very good shape except while putting it in my car I got a bit frustrated and caused one of the two aforementioned locking pins to come off. I may go look around on the ground for it. Does anyone recommend I keep this thing or sell it? I could break it down into parts and store it in a closet, I suppose. I have a hard time throwing stuff like this away as I remember how expensive it was back in the day.

Does anyone know where I can get locking pins substitutes for this rack? I love the diy idea presented but I have absolutely no access to a machinist.

You don’t have to personally know a machinist…any local automotive machine shop can bore the holes in the bolts.

There are no OEM parts for these racks available and I’ve never come up with an alternative to what I did, or seen anything else. If there are other ideas or solutions I’d love to see them. Anybody?

You don’t have to personally know a machinist…any local automotive machine shop can bore the holes in the bolts.

There are no OEM parts for these racks available and I’ve never come up with an alternative to what I did, or seen anything else. If there are other ideas or solutions I’d love to see them. Anybody?
Good to know thanks might have to try and duplicate your creation. Managed to come across one of these racks for cheap but it is missing a pin

Back