Creative uses for a 4 track Portastudo. Working or Not-fully (Besides a paperweight)

analog aaron

Swami King of Poppers
Hi Guys, a few different questions going on in this thread: I have a Tascam 424MKII w/ a broken tape transport. All its good for now is pretty much just mixer. Is it possible to use this as a mixer for a Teac simul sync 2340sx? Can the inputs (xlrs) and channels be used on the 4 track for recording onto the Teac Reel? If so, how would it be connected? Or altered to be connected? Not sure exactly how to word this, but here goes - Another topic I wanted to touch on is : Please explain any creative ways you've used your 4 Track portastudios. Working Tape transport or Non-Working Tape transport. (I find the idea fascinating to "recycle" old gear and use it (half broken or fully functional) for interesting purposes that weren't really originally intended or ways to use it that most people don't think of. What are some wacky ways you've used old gear with creative results? Make any sense?

Yes,...

You could use the 424mkII's mixer section to mix inputs down to L/R (stereo) outputs, and use the L/R outputs to feed the inputs of the 2340, while recording up to 2 tracks simultaneously. However, to overdub you will need a separate output mixer to monitor the 2340's outputs.

When it comes time to mix down from the 2340, you could repatch the outputs of the tape deck to the inputs of the 424mkII's mixer, 4 x 2, down to stereo again for your finished product.

The 424mkII will function as either an input mixer or output mixer to/from the 2340, respectively, but it will not do the 2-way traffic you need to have while overdubbing.

Once upon a time I used my 424mkII to mix inputs to my 38 and it was fine. The mixer section is decent and capable enough for simple tasks.

:spank::eek:;)

Thanks Dave that's very informative! So you're saying I can hook up the L/R outputs of the MkII to the inputs of the 2340, but will only be able to record 2 tracks simultaneously, and won't be able to overdub without a separate mixer for outputs of the 2340. Now I know some might say "Dude, Just quit playing games and get yourself a proper mixer!" Ha, BUT (Remember that Black colored 424MKIII I posted a picture of on here a few weeks back?) 2340 output mixer, right there! :) Thanks Dave!

Back