Could you guys post some of your work..

Bigsnake00

I was just wanting to hear with my own ears the differences in 1/4in and 1/2 in recordings. I know I will loose some warmth through mp3's, but I would still love to hear some stuff.
Thanks

Pull my finger...

I mean, click on my name, visit DigiSmigi's homepage. All cassette recordings. Same thing for most of the guys 'n gals in here. Except the cassette part. Most of em have reel to reels.

Hey Bigsnake00...here is a link to two songs that were recorded on a Yamaha MT50 4-track cassette...I am really happy with "Tiny Pieces" (a friend sang the vocals and played the guitar)...since recording these songs (by reading this board) I have found out how sub-par some of my signal chain is...I used a cheap mic for the vocals and I went into my computer using a Soundblaster Live soundcard ("Rain Keeps the Crud Off the Streets" is a strait mix down from the 4-track to the computer, "Tiny Pieces" was mixed to cassette and then recorded to computer)...I might have gotten a better sound with a better mic and soundcard. I used a couple of sub-$100 effect boxes (a Boss delay was used for the vocals in "Tiny Pieces")

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/twangermusic.htm

P.S. I just realized that cassette is 1/8 inch tape...so this doesn't really apply to your question...sorry

Last edited:
Hey Bigsnake00, thanks...the songs may not be great but I think the equipement (relatively humble as it is) is good enough to capture a good song (that is, to me, writing a good song is the biggest challenge)

The Ghost of FM said:
Here's something done on a 1/4" machine a few years ago by me and my friend Doug.

Cheers! :)

Great work here! Truly fine production Jeff! :) Which 1/4" machine did you use btw ?

~Daniel

mawtangent said:
Hey Bigsnake00...here is a link to two songs that were recorded on a Yamaha MT50 4-track cassette...I am really happy with "Tiny Pieces" (a friend sang the vocals and played the guitar)...since recording these songs (by reading this board) I have found out how sub-par some of my signal chain is...I used a cheap mic for the vocals and I went into my computer using a Soundblaster Live soundcard ("Rain Keeps the Crud Off the Streets" is a strait mix down from the 4-track to the computer, "Tiny Pieces" was mixed to cassette and then recorded to computer)...I might have gotten a better sound with a better mic and soundcard. I used a couple of sub-$100 effect boxes (a Boss delay was used for the vocals in "Tiny Pieces")

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/twangermusic.htm

P.S. I just realized that cassette is 1/8 inch tape...so this doesn't really apply to your question...sorry

The songs are fine examples of where production technique overcomes the limitations of 1/8" tape and narrow track width. Good job my friend. :)

Daniel

DigitalSmigital said:
Most of em have reel to reels.

Oh, come-on ... ya gotta get yerself one of 'em open reel thangs! ;)

Btw, heard Nine Little Words and Moni's Song. The first one was just so damn fun to listen to and the second was very haunting and beautiful. Very impressive writing and production. :)

~Daniel

The Ghost of FM said:
That was done on a TEAC A3340S!...18 years ago!

Thanks for checking it out! :)

Cheers! :)

Damn, the 3340S sounds as good or better than anything past or present. Tremendous Hi-Fi sound! That some dis those "vintage" machines is beyond me .. :mad:

~Daniel

Reel Person,
Am I correct in thinking the 388 has a 2 bus mixer? Or do each of the channels on the mixer correspond to the 8 tracks being recorded?

Hello,...

The 388 has what's known as an 8x8x2 mixer, which is:
8-inputs,
8-busses, &
2-buss "stereo" section, (which includes Cue monitor).

So, the 388's an 8-buss configuration, that records from (up to) 8-inputs to (up to) 8-tracks simultaneously. Any of the 8-inputs can be routed to any of the 8 PGM BUSSes, and therefore, to any of the 8-tape tracks.

The 388's a highly capable machine, that's not equalled by today's breed of digi-8-trackers. ;)

so, can you send 3 channels of the mixer, to one track on the recorder? LIke if you were to triangle mic the drums, would you take up 3 tracks, or could you send it to 1

You could.

You could route 3-input channels to one tape track, if you wished, & if that fit the occasion, or any number of other combinations.

8x8x2. ;)

Back