Could you guys post some of your work..

A Reel Dave, I dig that site, especially the plethora of recorders and the cataloging of the techniques used. And I like to hear real drumsets recorded on cassette Portas. Thanks to CJ for listening and the kind words.

My own attempts have met with disasters and success (to some degree) as far as drums are concerned, but I feel I have made some strides in improving my all around sound, and drums in particular.

Balancing costs from mics and fx against those from upgrading to a reel to reel are my concern now in 2005, as Daniel has counseled.

A TASCAM 38 plus a desk along with the gear I have would be my dream set up. But I fear this may remain out of my grasp, and another year of buying more gear improving the signal chain rather than upgrading the recorder will leave me polishing a turd (ouch) again.

:eek:

Thanx much!

All that NWR stuff was fun to record, & fun to post, so it's my only hope that it will also be fun to listen to!

Although I'm not locked into any one format, I've never felt limited by the Portastudio. It is what it is, and thank god for that. Sure, the 1/2" 38 and matching mixer sounds bigger, which can't be denied, but I use my cassette Portastudios as much as the 1/2". A good middle-of-the-road is the 1/4"-8-track Tascam 388, which is one of my favorites.

I've never sweated productions too much, other than trying to execute on the songs and to present my best effort, or representation of the songs. As sounds go, either drums or otherwise, I usually have some standard setups that I EQ moderately for best sound, & that's about it. All done by ear & semi-formulaic approach to setup & preproduction. Then, bang out & capitalize on the inherent energy of the songs. Nothing fancy. No gimmicks or sleight of hand.

Thanx for listening & your kind comments. It's all done for fun, and that's the bottom line. /DA

Back