Correlation between IQ and preference for analog?

I’m just taking the piss. You guys are great, and you definitely have to have a big brain to figure this tape stuff out.

I chose to do tape for the tone. That led to learning how to be an engineer and now I wonder if only big brained folks can handle tape.

Survey says yes.

My brain must be shrinking. I started out with tape recorders. Haven't threaded a reel in years. I did have my cassette deck apart about 3 weeks ago, because the rewind belt decided to dissolve into a black goo. I have a few cassettes that I need to transfer to digital before the rest of the deck turns to mush!

I do still have a bunch of those black shiny round things that have a crude simulation of a real sound waveform pressed into the surface. Very quaint devices, but they do have some neat features, like in the middle of one, it makes something that sounds like "Turn Me Over... Turn Me Over.... Turn Me Over." On the other side it says "Play Me Again... Play Me Again.... Play Me Again..." . I think its a subliminal message put there by the evil mind police.

Face it, any dummy can debug and optimize a computer system, install and maintain a complex workstation and still create art. :listeningmusic:

I forgot to mention the 100 disc CD changer in the bedroom... and the 250 or so CDs on the shelves in the basement. I haven't played a CD through since... Saturday afternoon.

I must be getting senile.

I recorded analog till I left Long Island. All my Ampeg 456 2" masters went into the trash. I'm not even sure if I still have the 1/4" masters.

I used to watch in awe as Don would line up everything perfectly for a punch-in. Never missed one. Never mistakenly recorded over anything, and his cutting/pasting 1/4" pieces was masterful. Never had to redo anything.

Engineering was an art form. It still is to an extent. But, when people like me can record and mix in my basement and not sound like complete crap, something's gone from the art. It didn't use to be just pushing buttons.

Don would tell me about Plate Reverb units that would be in the basement of the studios he worked at. I had no idea of what they were. He sent a picture, and I still have no idea of how they work. On the album I just mixed, I generally used the Plate reverb for my voice. SERIOUSLY, it wasn't until he told me that it clicked Pro Tools PLATE and HIS massive PLATE were the same thing.

I suspect the analogue brigade all suffer from procesitis. The wide dynamic range, absence of crosstalk, absolute frequency precision, and ability to record things you cannot hear that dreadful digital offers just cannot impact properly on people with procesitis, who need the tiny amounts of distortion, non linear equalisation curve and minuscule amounts of wide band noise products to enjoy the music. They can be identified at live events because they keep staring at moving lights because they are emitting wide band noise products that their brain suddenly processes as analogue sound during the quieter sections. There appears to be some evidence that analogue sound, via a magnetic medium does induce the positive effects that better mental health can deliver. However, there are growing numbers of people who have an allergy to microscopic amounts of Wideband noise, and the strange warbles linear recording devices generate. Audiphiles clearly have the largest brain mass, but sadly this may well be reaction to much of it not working very well, and the extra large size of their brain, and smaller size of other organs may be the result of exposure to residual magnetism.

Wish I could delete this thread, had a few to many whiskeys and wanted to compliment all the people who help others in this forum but it just sounds weird and boastful or something. Ugh

Back