Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Converting microwave oven into reel-tape eraser ???

Thanks

Talking Converting microwave oven into reel-tape eraser ???

Sign in to disable this ad
    heh heh ...

Actually I've just got that 'moranic' idea ..lol
    Well, funny or not... While I was using one of those hand tape erasers I have, I've found that it's kinda pain in tha' neck.
    So first thought was about... is it possible to build a small box which whould contain the electromagnetic field inside, so I could use the eraser in the studio room and not to worry about gear, tapes etc around. Than that idea came to my mind... how about microwave oven box. Maybe it is already built that way, so it will keep the magnetic field 'contained' ????
    I guess I should do some "research" on that. Hey guys, do you have any idea? Speak out.
    So... I thought, it would be cool, to actually convert the microwave-oven into eraser-"oven" (I've got here one old and ugly in good 'working condition already') by disabling it's microwave section, while keepping the rest of it functional, then to build a special table plate with center pin/holder, which will be mount on the spinning table of the oven (it does speen nicely and slowely already!!! no special design requires ), so then I can place the reel on it, then make some sort of adjustable arm-holder for the eraser, so I can place it nicely and close above the tape (in the style of record-player's arm ), then close the oven, set the timer for. let's say 30/45/60 sec (the timer would make it greate, so after few experiments I would know how long it takes for good clean result)... start the oven, the table is spinning, let's say I have a special on/off switch for 'arming' the eraser - flip it on. , the oven goes off - flip the switch off ---- ola-la-la

LOL, it does sound like a lunatic idea...does not it ...heh heh

anyhow,
    what do you guys think.? Do you think it may work? Or do you think it's totally idiotic

The serious part of this is , thou.... it would be cool to have a 'box' right here in the studio room (right next to my computer, the printer's shelf would be a perfect spot for it ), - open the door, place the reel, lower the eraser-arm, close the door, push the botton, get the 'perfectly erased reel out' ...
    Knowledge is calculable, Ignorance has no limits.
    Dr ZEE
    MZE | Dr ZEE WORKSHOP

Thanks
    Sounds like an interesting idea. The oven probably isn't going to contain a magnetic field though. Its designed to contain the 2.4 GHz RF generated by the magnetron, not a magnetic field generated by a bulk eraser.

It could definately be used to automate the process - track down the control circuitry which switched HT to the magnetron and use it instead to switch the supply to your eraser. I wouldn't sit it beside anything that doesn't like a magnetic field though - tapes, monitors, etc. Keep it well away!

Cya
    Andrew

Thanks

Exclamation It can kill Ya !!!

Andrew, thanks for spending time reading this and your thoughts
    After going through some basic tech-info about microwave ovens, how they work and made ... arghhhhhhhhh .... these are not toys! This thing can kill'Ya if you mess with it mindlessly
    Also the practicality of it is questionable.... huh!... that's prety usual for most of my "tech" ideas... lol
    I still may try to make something... if I get into mood and have time to waste. The idea of having some smoothely/slowely-moving table is kind of interesting..... gotta do some more research etc...

I was trying to find something on the net about how to (if it is possible) to build a magnetic field containing box, like what material to use, how thick etc..., but all I'm finding are some commercial buildings, rooms stuff like that etc..., bunch of theoretical stuff as well...

okey,

Good erasers are so freakin expansive!
    Knowledge is calculable, Ignorance has no limits.
    Dr ZEE
    MZE | Dr ZEE WORKSHOP

Beck Guest
    I like the rotating tray idea. I've seen pro degaussers on ebay, but they are really pricey. A few companies still make them. Buying them new is out of the question for my humble needs. It would be nice to be able to piece something together with a rotating tray.

-Tim
    Last edited by Beck; 06-16-2005 at 23:47.

Thanks

well, you could tape a bunch of them to your body, then get a MRI....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr ZEE
    Andrew, thanks for spending time reading this and your thoughts
    After going through some basic tech-info about microwave ovens, how they work and made ... arghhhhhhhhh .... these are not toys! This thing can kill'Ya if you mess with it mindlessly
    Also the practicality of it is questionable.... huh!... that's prety usual for most of my "tech" ideas... lol
    I still may try to make something... if I get into mood and have time to waste. The idea of having some smoothely/slowely-moving table is kind of interesting..... gotta do some more research etc...

I was trying to find something on the net about how to (if it is possible) to build a magnetic field containing box, like what material to use, how thick etc..., but all I'm finding are some commercial buildings, rooms stuff like that etc..., bunch of theoretical stuff as well...

okey,

Good erasers are so freakin expansive!

erasers don't really erase, they just reorient the magnetic fields on you tape, and magnetic fields follow (I think) the inverse square law. meaning twice the distance from the tape, one quarter the strength of the field (I think)

This is one of the things Tesla could not get around with his idea of 'broadcasting power' to the world.

you will need a VERY strong magnetic field to do this from any distance. Of course, you might be able to melt them with a little bacon and cheese.

Thanks

Thumbs up

I was quite fortunate to pick up a couple of bulk erasers from a broadcaster last year - just the box type, not quite as slick as the Teac one I've used at the local Access radio station but they do the job.

Thinking about this a bit more - Dr Zee, yes you need to watch the voltages in a microwave ! You'd want to remove ANYTHING to do with microwave generation, the HT for the magnetron etc. Basically you'd be left with the control ciruitry - timer etc.

You'll need to get a circuit diagram. If its got a mechanical timer then that and the motor are probably all you can safely use - if its electronic then the timer PCB etc, motor and low voltage (probably +5v) power supply.

I'm not familiar with the handheld erasers - probably spoilt with having access to nice bulk erasers for too long - but you'd have to work out how to mount them so that they are reasonably close to the tape. As Rstiltskin has pointed out the field will drop pretty quickly with distance - so what might erase 5-10mm away will probably only partially erase say 25mm away and just kill the highs 50mm away!

In terms of magnetic shielding, you're talking mu-metal. Don't know too much about it, but have just googled it and there's a heap of links there - just remember to google the phrase, i.e. "mu metal" with the quotes so that you get more focused results.

Anyway, if anyone can pull this off it'll be the good Dr Zee! That cassette delay unit looked like a beast, the kind of thing I'd love to fool around with if I had time! I'm just starting to regret throwing that dead Goldstar microwave on the landfill last year !

Cya
    Andrew

Thanks

you have electricity in New Zealand? what next!

Quote Originally Posted by arjoll
    I was quite fortunate to pick up a couple of bulk erasers from a broadcaster last year - just the box type, not quite as slick as the Teac one I've used at the local Access radio station but they do the job.

Thinking about this a bit more - Dr Zee, yes you need to watch the voltages in a microwave ! You'd want to remove ANYTHING to do with microwave generation, the HT for the magnetron etc. Basically you'd be left with the control ciruitry - timer etc.

You'll need to get a circuit diagram. If its got a mechanical timer then that and the motor are probably all you can safely use - if its electronic then the timer PCB etc, motor and low voltage (probably +5v) power supply.

I'm not familiar with the handheld erasers - probably spoilt with having access to nice bulk erasers for too long - but you'd have to work out how to mount them so that they are reasonably close to the tape. As Rstiltskin has pointed out the field will drop pretty quickly with distance - so what might erase 5-10mm away will probably only partially erase say 25mm away and just kill the highs 50mm away!

In terms of magnetic shielding, you're talking mu-metal. Don't know too much about it, but have just googled it and there's a heap of links there - just remember to google the phrase, i.e. "mu metal" with the quotes so that you get more focused results.

Anyway, if anyone can pull this off it'll be the good Dr Zee! That cassette delay unit looked like a beast, the kind of thing I'd love to fool around with if I had time! I'm just starting to regret throwing that dead Goldstar microwave on the landfill last year !

Cya
    Andrew

NZ and AUS are two places I really want to spend some time in. The people I have come into contact with from there are absolutly super.

I have been to canada, mexico, eng-germ-france-etc, and have no desire to go back(well maybe that little whorehouse in Neuvo Laredo), I hope to get out to that part of the world before americans are uniformly detested, or maybe its too late.

as far as mu-metal goes, unless he is cooling with liquid nitrogen and building a superconducting magnet(really cool, tho, I will admit if he does) I don't think he should have too much trouble with stray magnetic fields. Just don't leave your floppies on top of it.

Did you know almost all modern crt's and televisions have a deguassing coil around them that fires of whenever the power on? and yet many people let floppies sit on top of their monitor with no apparent harm (usually, although floppies suck, usually)

forgive the spelling, its late here (NY time, eastern)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rstiltskin
    NZ and AUS are two places I really want to spend some time in. The people I have come into contact with from there are absolutly super.
    Aw shucks yes, its a lovely part of the world. Especially NZ A bit chilly here this time of year though 5C yesterday, down close to 0C (that's 32F) tonight again and frosts most of this week. Coldest night was -4C I think.

I hope to get out to that part of the world before americans are uniformly detested, or maybe its too late.
    It depends whether you're talking Americans as a group, or individuals. We're quite tolerant of the individuals except for Dubya

Did you know almost all modern crt's and televisions have a deguassing coil around them that fires of whenever the power on? and yet many people let floppies sit on top of their monitor with no apparent harm (usually, although floppies suck, usually)
    Floppies suck ALWAYS. It makes me cringe when I see them used, let alone stored like this. Magnetic catches in handbags are killer as well (struck one client who could never work out why her backups always verified ok at the time but never worked afterwards - guess how she transported them?).

For most new systems we recommend zip or flash for small clients, DDS or LTO for servers. CDRW is a pain. Floppies just aren't an option!

Anyway that's enough of me hijacking the thread......

Thanks
    Hmmmmm...................if you hear of any more of those bulk erasers being jetisoned, please let me know . I missed one on Ebay Aust., about 6 months ago...........went for a "proverbial song" and I have a quantity of 1" that could do with a good clean some time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ausrock
    if you hear of any more of those bulk erasers being jetisoned, please let me know
    Will put the feelers out; at least you know it'll be the right voltage and have the right plug. They're not light though; the shipping might be expensive, even just across the Tasman.....

Thread Information