consolidating space: angled Tascam 388+swiveling racks

shedshrine

Newest configuration I'm trying allows for easier access to 388's rear,
and has racks mounted on steel poles that allow them to
swivel around for easy access to their rear connections also.

Had an Ultimate rack system, replaced the aluminum front uprights with steel ones from an Ikea bunk bed. The racks are mounted hovering over the angled Tascam 388 and swivel around for rear access,
thus eliminating a patch bay (which depending on your viewpoint may be a good thing or not). With the racks more central they are easier to patch in to the daw, or the 388, or the soundcraft/238 rig.
The 388 now at an angle enables easy access to rear connections also.

The racks support brackets are just tight enough to provide a snug grip and I have greased the pole so they swing quite easily. There is a pole bracket beneath each rack that is cranked down very tightly so as not to allow slippage down the poles.

IMG_9874.jpg

IMG_9881.jpg

IMG_9890.jpg

IMG_9892.jpg

Last edited:
That is totally cool. So, one pole connected to one post at a right angle is holding the whole thing up? Also, is it hard to get to the guitars on the wall?

OOps. I suppose I should have looked closer. Everybody knows what a slacker I am. I see how it is supported now. DIY at its best.

looks good.
is it stable?

That is definitely a concern.That is why I swapped out the aluminum poles for the steel, to hold the weight. But that only addressed part of the problem. The racks are only attached on one side, so there's alot of pull on those rack ears. I'm trying to figure out how to rig some kind of eye hook wire from the pole to the outer top rack end that will withstand repeated turning. For now I just don't whip them around and it's plenty stable, though there is room for improvement. That 388's heft really helps keep the whole thing grounded when the rack is turned all the way around out front.

That is a sweet set-up. I'm lucky in that I've got my 388 on a big dresser at the bottom of the stairs, w/ the stairs going up behind the unit w/ no wall, giving me easy access.

Back