Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Console Daydreaming

Thanks

Console Daydreaming

Sign in to disable this ad
    As I am wont to do, I'm looking at balanced consoles and I'm trying to figure out which one might be an incremental upgrade from my Tascam M-520.

The question "why?" doesn't apply here, just so you know

There are some Trident 65 consoles out there around $1,000 - $2,000. There's the Soundcraft 500 and 600 series, but I've read some mixed reviews on them. (Well, NOBODY on Gearslutz likes anything that doesn't say "Neve" or "Studer", so nuts to that!).

What are your opinions on this? I don't really know what's out there, and I'm interested to hear what y'all have to say
    Don't let schooling interfere with your education - Mark Twain

Thanks
    I wish I knew myself. I've only used a very few different mixers. It would be great to have an opportunity where you could try a bunch of them out.

If I were to go by looks, instinct and affordability, for a newer board, I'd go with a Trident 8t http://tradingpost.sweetwater.com/14...-channel-mixer or a Toft ATB 08, like this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/Toft-Audio-ATB-0...item19c130df9a
    "He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance."

Thanks
    GS has extream people. Either they are digital freaks or super high end analog gear that a lot of people can't afford. Their is a Soundcraft on GS for 2K It's amazing looking. Anyway, good luck man.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lo.fi.love View Post
    As I am wont to do, I'm looking at balanced consoles and I'm trying to figure out which one might be an incremental upgrade from my Tascam M-520.

The question "why?" doesn't apply here, just so you know

There are some Trident 65 consoles out there around $1,000 - $2,000. There's the Soundcraft 500 and 600 series, but I've read some mixed reviews on them. (Well, NOBODY on Gearslutz likes anything that doesn't say "Neve" or "Studer", so nuts to that!).

What are your opinions on this? I don't really know what's out there, and I'm interested to hear what y'all have to say

Getting an older "Pro" console has it's risks. A friend who worked at a studio with a new Trident TSM mentioned that it was very maintenance intensive. Switches and IC's failed on a regular basis. The owner knew of this would be the case but was willing to deal with it to get the sound of that board. Fortunately, these older units are fully modular and socketed so chip replacement is relatively easy.

I have no experience with Soundcraft but the units you mention, assuming they are in good condition, should be a step up from your 520. They may also be upgraded without too much grief.

Used, I'd be looking for a Sony 3036 without automation. But I have neither the money, time or space for one. New, it would be an Audient with 36 inputs and full patchbay.
    Rick Ruskin
    Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
    http://liondogmusic.com

Thanks
    am hotrodding a series 500 SC here... cant recommend it too much... would love a trident as well i'm sure... there's shitloads of data available on rrehabbing SCs... one place i can chat with the guy that designed my board... so hard to find better opinions...
    37.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

hey give a guy some room... people are trying to evolve here... for crying out loud...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dementedchord View Post
    am hotrodding a series 500 SC here... cant recommend it too much... would love a trident as well i'm sure... there's shitloads of data available on rrehabbing SCs... one place i can chat with the guy that designed my board... so hard to find better opinions...
    Can't recommend that board or any hot-rod attempts?
    Rick Ruskin

Thanks
    gabe roth and daptone use the trident 65 and their records sound great, so i would disregard the gearslultz stuff. a bunch of decent sounding records have been done on soundcraft 200/400/800/1600 series boards as well. my understanding (based on research as opposed to experience) is that these types of boards don't impart a whole lot of character into the sound but they do a good job of passing signal. trident 65 boards are very large compared to the smaller format soundcrafts ...

i was looking for a board to upgrade my teac 5 and it has been a real involved journey (still on it). i ended up going with an alice 828, which my neighbor is currently re-capping and fixing up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
    Can't recommend that board or any hot-rod attempts?

sorry rick are we crossing wires here??? are you saying you dont recommend them or are you questioning the way i put it??? as cant recommend it too much... sounds alittle off handed i suppose... i do recommend it highly... admittedly an appeal to authority is a weak argument but guys like jim williams love them... for the unintiated he's kinda a tech for all techs...

hey give a guy some room... people are trying to evolve here... for crying out loud...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dementedchord View Post
    sorry rick are we crossing wires here??? are you saying you dont recommend them or are you questioning the way i put it??? as cant recommend it too much... sounds alittle off handed i suppose... i do recommend it highly... admittedly an appeal to authority is a weak argument but guys like jim williams love them... for the unintiated he's kinda a tech for all techs...
    It was a question. Your phrase: "am hotrodding a series 500 SC here... cant recommend it too much.." sounded like you were not happy about your decision.
    Rick Ruskin

Thanks
    quite the opposite... awkward phrase on my part...

Thread Information