Consider this...

Aesthetics are definitely part of it for me...same reasone I prefer the look of a bridge of analog VU meters over one filled with LED's...I guess part of that, too is how my brain interacts with the analog ones which are typically averaging meters...they tell more of an overview of the program signal strength vs. the peak, but then there are typically peak indicators in there too so you can get a lot of info at a glance or peripherally...but the incadescent glow appeals to me.

And I think in general we've lost character...for instance with your 70's tuner, Jinn...it sounds better to you right? You connect with it. So does it matter so much what's inside? That's where I'm headed to a certain degree. Now, there ARE upgrades that are prudent, or really beneficial...sometimes for the safety of the equipment (or the user), and sometimes to fit it into a certain application. I see nothing wrong with upgrades but my whole point to this thread is that if you dig your 70's tuner the way it is, but somebody tells you you oughta do this/do that to it because blahblahblah and you go thinking its not so good anymore, that's a problem in my view because you donzt know what those upgrades are going to do unless you can A/B it side-by-side with a modded version and an original version. Like ZEE said to me in a different thread, enjoy it for what it is. If there is a problem, that's a different story but I'm talking about modding for the sake of modding based on somebody else's opinion of what you should do. Hey, if you like to mod and tinker, there's nothing wrong with that and I'm kind of that way, but I'm seeing a line that would be good for me to draw when I'm looking for every 4558 or 072 opamp in my herd and making plans to upgrade...nahnahnah. Does that make sense?

Its been a good number of years but I used to really be into the first geberation of water-cooled VW's...Mark I Scirocco and Rabbit in particular (Storm and Mark I Golf for those of you on the other side of the pond)...I recall the first time I drove a Mark III Golf and it felt like it had been neutered...totally unsatisfying. So maybe that's what might happen to some degree with an opamp upgrade. I don't know enough to kow specifically what might address an issue or improve upon a certain characteristic in the circuitry...throwing a more contemporary opamp in there might make as much sense as putting a gihugic tailpipe on a car with a hi-flow muffler...really does little for the performance, and may actually harm it if it reduces back-pressure too much.

Character used to be valued, and now there is so much strive in general for perfect clean sound...transparent is the coined term...like transparent water...good, but not very interesting to the senses.

Hey, marcio from brazil!
I recently downloaded these studio sound articles from Steve Dove named "Designing a professional mixing console", published in 1980, but unfortunately i did not found the 3rd part of this. The edition was from november of 1980.

Appreciate your help!

Back