Connector Help

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
After my last success, I decided to try my luck again. My Dad used to say I had a lot of want-to, but that I was dumber than a sack of hammers.... and here's where that gets me into trouble.

49728115261_7050eddcd7_z.jpg

49727569753_8e71c7ae32_z.jpg

49727570248_2c5e4216d6_z.jpg

I was messing with a connector on my Tascam 424, I popped the cover off and the ribbon cable came out. I tried to get it back in, but the wires arent strong enough to just shove em in. Do I need a special tool for this?

I can’t tell for sure because the picture is too blurry and a bit dim lighting-wise, but usually those connector types have a plastic clip piece that slides up or out so the cable can be reinserted without force. What machine is this? Which board/connector?

I can’t tell for sure because the picture is too blurry and a bit dim lighting-wise, but usually those connector types have a plastic clip piece that slides up or out so the cable can be reinserted without force. What machine is this? Which board/connector?

It's my 424.... I've got some capstan motor noise I'm trying to quiet.

I figured it out. I had removed the plastic cap, but I think you are supposed to leave the cap on. Then when you press on it, it releases the ribbon cable and you just pull it out. To reinsert, you press the cap again, insert the wires, and release the cap, the wires are pinched in there. I accidentally found this out after your suggestion (.....see sack of hammers comment above :D)

Thanks SB...... again.....

Yeah that’s right. It’s usually like a plastic bale type situation. The bale lifts up or out but stays captive on the connector. So, all good at this point?

I’ve broken a lot of things over the years figuring stuff out.

And the bag of hammers thing...that’s a line in the movie O’ Brother Where Art Thou? George Clooney’s character says the line of his maybe not so quick-witted friend. It’s a choice scene.

Yeah that’s right. It’s usually like a plastic bale type situation. The bale lifts up or out but stays captive on the connector. So, all good at this point?

I’ve broken a lot of things over the years figuring stuff out.

And the bag of hammers thing...that’s a line in the movie O’ Brother Where Art Thou? George Clooney’s character says the line of his maybe not so quick-witted friend. It’s a choice scene.

I like Mary Cooper's quip (TBBT) "Dumb as soup"!

But, I can tell thee all, it don't get better with age. I am sometimes just totally BO***S'ed by stuff I could do in my sleep ten years ago.

Dave.

I like Mary Cooper's quip (TBBT) "Dumb as soup"!

But, I can tell thee all, it don't get better with age. I am sometimes just totally BO***S'ed by stuff I could do in my sleep ten years ago.

Dave.

Ha!!! I hear you Dave..... This whole Covid thing better pass over soon. I've got sooo many projects I know nothing about on the shelf...... Finished another one today.

I had this old 424 that worked great, but was plumb ugly.

49731858422_db52846017_z.jpg

I bought it years ago for parts on another one. but since it worked, I ended up just buying parts off ebay to fix the other one. This one has been with me for about 5 years and works like a charm..... I was feeling a little sorry for it, so I bought another parts one on ebay. I didn't get so lucky with that one. It had a bad channel 1 and a noisy capstan motor. sooooo I just ended up swapping electronics. The body of my new one in banged up ol reliable.

49731536451_3378b303bb_z.jpg

Like I said.... This had better end soon...... next I have three guitar necks that need resetting :eek::eek:

Back