Connect TSR-8 to Oscilloscope Probes???

poopchute

I recently bought a Hantek DSO5072P Scope to use for aligning the heads on my Tascam TSR-8 tape machine. In my manual it just says to connect the outputs (2 & 7) to the scope. But Im confused if I just try to clip the probes right to the female rca plugs on the back of the TSR-8 or should I use an RCA cable and try to connect that way? Or use alligator clips? What is the proper way to connect the RCA outputs of the TSR-8 to the probes so I can check the signal?
Thanks

Yeah you can just clip the probes to the ends of rca cables plugged into the track 2 & 7 outputs, or I got something some years ago that’s super handy, BNC to RCA adapters so you can plug rca cables right into the scope.

F3446790-6F7E-4DFE-8CD0-7922E870F76F.jpeg

If I clip the probes to the ends of RCA cables plugged into the outputs do I need to worry about how they are clipped? In other words, do I need to clip only to the tip of the rca end without touching the ring or sleeve of the RCA end? And what about the ground connectors from the probes? Do I even need them or should I take them off?

You want to just clip the pin of the rca connector.

And the ground leads on the probes aren’t for signal, they are for shunting noise interference. You can clip them to any ground of there’s a lot of noise interference in the environment. Easiest point would be the sleeve of the rca plug.

OK, I just wanted to hear it from someone who knew what they were talking about. Im gonna try what you said tomorrow... Thanks

OK, I just wanted to hear it from someone who knew what they were talking about. Im gonna try what you said tomorrow... Thanks

And! With Mr Sweeatbeats you have certainly got that!

You really only need the probe for a scope when investigating circuts to component level and that needs care around ICs for instance as a slip and a short can cause you a lot of fixing! Scope probes also usually have a X10 switch on them. That is not just for attenuating high voltage signals but also to reduce the capacitance you add to the circuit under test, sometning that matters for valve gear and video (i.e.TV). The only time I think you would need the X10 feature is if poking around bias oscillator sections? A high capacitance will change the bias frequency and thus the head current. Might stop the oscillator altogether!

In many audio workshops scope are often tied to a millivoltmeter output. That means you only have to select the range on the mV meter and the scope tracks with it. The scope is invaluable to make sure you are not clipping or have some serious crap in the signal.

If you don't have one already a modest audio signal generator and mV meter are really a must if you intend to line up tape machines. Here in UK the company "Levell" made some very decent kit and it crops up on Ebay quite regularly. Often needs the power arrangements updating and the gear calibrating but that last you can do these days with a decent digital voltmeter and the ubiquitous PC!

Dave.

You can hook them on in any fashion that you want as long as the scope does not have 50 ohm termination on it. Most scope probes use over 1M ohm impedance and so will offer no load to the output. make sure to use ground also.

I have done many machines over the years and have them direct coupled to the scope through a switcher. But the same connection exists.
You do not need for a one time azimuth alignment any special connectors. The connectors if you want to get them are best had at Marlin P Jones and Assoc. That is where I get a lot of different adapters and such.

Back