Confused on 388 Recording Set-Up

tascaman

Hi there. I am new to analog recording, and I am thinking about buyin a 388 for recording at home. Well, I am confused on the set up that most have, and what is recomended for recording.

I have been doing lots of research on the Tascam 388 and what people think of it, and it seems to me that no one plugs their microphones directly into the 388. They either have a pre amp or something to add effects so on... I know that the 388 does not supply phantom power. So I like those ART boxes that give 4 channels for like $40 bucks on ebay, and I can just get two of them....but is the 388's eq's and doodad's not really the best there are? Should I use a better mixer with more than 8 imputs first, then go into the 388?

Sorry if I ramble, but I just want to know what other expenses I might be getting myself into when I take on analog porta-studio recording.

Thanks,
Conrad

With any "all-in-one" system, the biggest problem you are likely to face is that when any single thing goes wrong, you lose the entire set-up while it's being repaired.

Conrad,

Indeed there's nothing wrong with the 388 preamps. They're good as is. I think it's being misinformed that one 'needs' external pres with the 388 and the same goes with the EQ etc....

The 388 is a plenty capable machine and the only thing which becomes useful, other than mics, is a nice compressor and an effects unit. One of each will be fine if you're doing it 'track by track'.

NOTE: If you have really nice sounding rooms [or dead ones] and are especially good at mic technique, compressors and effects units become optional or at the very least ones to use minimally and with respect.

Yeah, a cheap phantom power supply, like some ART and ROLLS units on eBay will be fine and will come in handy if you use condenser mics. Other than that, the 388 is a one of a kind 'studio', one which you will immensely enjoy working with. I know I do.:D

--

I...

I plug mics directly into the 388 & use the onboard EQ.
The condenser mics I have are battery powered, but I also use dynamic mics.:eek:;)

Conrad,

Check out Dave's [A Reel Person's] 388 productions at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=312544 and see what he means. No compressors, no effects, no bs .... Just the 388, mics [many of them the sm57's], instruments and Dave playing 'em. That's it. ;)

You'll have to scroll through about 200 songs to get to the handful made on the 388 but it's well worth it. Check out Love Me Do, God and several others... It's all pure, unsweetened 388 and the artist. All good stuff. :)

---

O, I have checked it out before and it was pretty awsome!

So moving on with my questions, how do you get the music from the 388 to a computer?

how do you get the music from the 388 to a computer?

Use the 'stereo out', using the attached cable into your 'line in' of your sound card.

Do you have the 388 manual, online version? It's great to familiarize yourself with the 388 and it's well written too.

Attachments

• stereo_rca_cable_large.gif
    stereo_rca_cable_large.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 38
Yes I have the manual. I didnt think it was going to be that easy!

I could probably pick that cable up at radio shack?

Thanks

Back