Cleaning recording heads with 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Hello,

I just cleaned my TASCAM 414 recording heads and rollers with Q-Tips and 70% rubbing alcohol. I then read some posts about not doing that and only using much higher alcohol content like 98 or 99% alcohol or I risk damaging the heads! Ok I will do that BUT did I just damage my recording heads when I cleaned with the 70% solution that one time ? I just did that yesterday. Oh man .. I hope I didn't do any harm ... :(

Thanks very much,

Daniel

The danger with the 70% is the lubricating additives they put in with it....

The 70% is rubbing alcohol and is designed for use on human skin as a friction rub (hence the lubricating additives)

I suggest you re-clean the heads carefully with the proper stuff (99% isopropyl)....

Also, do not use ANY alcohol on the pinch roller - it will dry out the rubber - use the proper pinch roller cleaner....

Thanks very much guys and I am gonna use the right stuff but can you perhaps answer if this one time cleaning, with the 70% solution, "damaged" the heads already ? I'm never going to do that again but am just wondering.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Probably not... but there's no way to know without testing the heads with a scope...!

If you don't notice any difference I'm sure it's fine...!

Bdgr said:
According to my tech friend, 70 % can rust or corrode the heads on some machines.

...when done consistently over time I assume and not after one time ...

Daniel

Where you can get in trouble immediately is the film left on the heads can be transfered to the tape if you playback over the contamination.

Track Rat said:
Where you can get in trouble immediately is the film left on the heads can be transfered to the tape if you playback over the contamination.

Ok, thanks.

Daniel

Yikes! 70%...thats gonna leave sticky crap all over everything. Gums ya all up, if you have alot of tape that has been recorded on those 70% cleaned heads, Id think about having a restoration facility clean the tapes up. Overtime that crap acts like glue and you tapes will be ruined forever. Ahhhhhhgh. Everclear works I heard if you can get it out of your mouth in time!

SoMm

Son of Mixerman said:
Yikes! 70%...thats gonna leave sticky crap all over everything. Gums ya all up, if you have alot of tape that has been recorded on those 70% cleaned heads, Id think about having a restoration facility clean the tapes up. Overtime that crap acts like glue and you tapes will be ruined forever. Ahhhhhhgh. Everclear works I heard if you can get it out of your mouth in time!

SoMm

Hi,

It's a good thing that I didn't put any tapes since the "cleaning" then ;) Thanks again for the info :) Learning all the time ...

Daniel

dont ever never everneverever put 70% alcohol near a digital head, or a video head. I know its analog only but had to throw out that caution just in case

Back