Cleaning pots question.....

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Need some advice from you. Please take a quick look at the photo. I normally like to have direct access to those little holes in the pots to squirt some F5 directly but this one is a bit harder to get at and I'd like to avoid unnecessary dis-assembly so... my question is: Would it be effective if I used a dropper to deliver a couple of drops through the hole? How many drops would you say is enough for general maintenance? I only know in squirts. :D
Thanks!:)

DSCF1176edit.jpg

Daniel, can't you bendy the little straw on the Caig can to get to those holes? Can't quite tell from the perspective...I *flush* the F5 in when I'm cleaning pots so that its sure to cover the element...I wouldn;t be satisfied with some drops...plus if you have to have the device sitting like that to apply the drops you the elements are on the wrong side...

Heh:D It's a Technics SL-1700 turntable that I have had sitting around for a while. Dug it out and the pitch control is very touchy. I know from servicing other TT's in the past that F5 into pots restores function instantly but they were easier to get at than on this model. This one is better built tho and is my sole table.

Yes, of course I can bend the little straw and will try that. So I guess it's OK if the hole of the straw is a bit bent, squirting indirectly? As long as it's in there, right?

I of course would prop the chassis up so that the drops (if using dropper) would enter the pots easily and work the shaft.

Lets see, lemme post another photo....

DSCF1175.jpg

Ahhhh...I see it now. :)

You can do the dropper thing but I've used the F5 like a wash in the pots so jetting it, even at an angle, sprays it in there all crazy-like...then I exercise the pot and give it another jet and then position the device so that the DeoxIT can drain out through the hole...and I let it sit for a day or so.

Ahhhh...I see it now. :)

You can do the dropper thing but I've used the F5 like a wash in the pots so jetting it, even at an angle, sprays it in there all crazy-like...then I exercise the pot and give it another jet and then position the device so that the DeoxIT can drain out through the hole...and I let it sit for a day or so.

You mean letting it drain out through that same hole that it went in? Yes, I'll try the jetting thing first. :D Thanks Cory! :)

Yes, same hole, or a different one if that is more convenient in propping it up (often times there are two holes).

Back