cleaning heads on Tascam 388

pitol678

Hi,

Ive previously cleaned the heads with 99% isopropyl alcohol but my repair guy said not to do this, but didn't offer another option. Does anyone have anything specific ie a link or a brand name of something you prefer to clean tape heads with? Thanks!

I don't see why not. A lot of people still use regular 99 percent isopropyl on heads.
Remember, I linked you to a canadian amazon site.

I don't see why not. A lot of people still use regular 99 percent isopropyl on heads.
Remember, I linked you to a canadian amazon site.

Thannks again! One more question if I may, in a pinch, is it ok to use 91%? For instance, Im doing a session today and realized I cant find my 99% alcohol after I "reorganized."

Thannks again! One more question if I may, in a pinch, is it ok to use 91%? For instance, Im doing a session today and realized I cant find my 99% alcohol after I "reorganized."

I would think 91% would be fine in a pinch. I've heard people say "never use 70%," but I've never heard the same thing about 91%.

Regarding 99%, I've never heard anyone say anything is wrong with that, including the people at TASCAM. The majority of people I know (myself included) use 99% and have for years.

99% is hard to find. I think most folks here generally consider 91% or better fine to use. That’s what I use. Good quality denatured alcohol is also a good option.

99% is hard to find. I think most folks here generally consider 91% or better fine to use. That’s what I use. Good quality denatured alcohol is also a good option.

I guess it is hard to find locally now that you mention it. I've always ordered it online so I forgot to mention that.

This is the stuff I use from MG Chemicals...99.9% pure in 1-quart bottles for $11.81:
824-1L MG Chemicals | Mouser

Mouser also the Techspray brand which is 99.8% pure in 1-pint bottles for $11.83:
1610-P Techspray | Mouser

So if you can make use of the quart from MG Chemicals, it's a much better deal.
Bottom line...it will last longer, and it doesn't go bad...so it made more sense to me. I actually bought 2 quarts at one time about 5 years ago....and I'm almost out on the first quart.

We at Teac Factory Service used Denatured alcohol which I still use to this day at my own repair shop.
I suggest it highly.
Isopropyl alcohol is not the solvent used to break down oxide deposits I don't care if it is 70% or 99% it does not work either way.
Ethanol is and had been the way to go in all the shops I have worked at over 45 years.

Back