Cleaning

Outlaws

What, if any, household cleaners are acceptable for cleaning the heads of a Reel to reel? Rubbing alcohol?

DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!! (WAIT FOR ONE OF THE OTHER GUYS)

I THINK iso-alcohol (91%) is the way to go and NOT RUBBING, because it contains water and some have a menthol soloution as well.... Best wait for one of the other guys before doing anything to be on the safe side.

:)

Last edited:
NEVER.........

...use "rubbing alcohol"!

You must use at least 90% isopropyl alcohol.... rubbing alcohol contains only 70% alcohol along with skin lubricants and water which will damage the heads.

And you only use rubber cleaner on the pinch roller - if you use the isopropyl, you'll dry it out.

I use Tech spray brand Isopropyl. It is 99 %. I couldnt get anything around here except rubbing alcohol so I ordered this stuff online from i think it,s mc electronics or mcm electronics.
If you do a search im sure it will come up.

The part number is 1610-p Techspray

Did you know that the process of denaturing alcohol is nothing more than adding small amounts of toxic chemicals to make it undrinkable?

tjohnston said:
Did you know that the process of denaturing alcohol is nothing more than adding small amounts of toxic chemicals to make it undrinkable?

My bad... Isopropryl is what I was thinking of. I just had a brain fart and denatured came out.;)

Though nobody asked,

I use Caig Labs, Caikleen RBR for the pinch roller. It can be applied with lint free cotton swabs or a fresh clean sponge.

For all the metal parts, 91% or higher is good for the alcohol.

100 proof rum cleans my head every time too but that's a different topic!

Cheers! :)

Somewhere (Maybe here or at Tascam) I read about some lube (Yeah ok, haha..very funny guys!) and am wondering if it was made by the same company as the product Ghost had mentioned. If so, what exactally might need to be lubed on a deck and how would one tell?
Or is that more or less something a tech does during a check up and thusly the product exsists? (If in fact it does)

:)

Last edited:
BillyFurnett said:
...what exactally might need be lubed on a deck and how would you tell?

Well my guess would be that since there are spining parts that there is bound to be metal on metal action going on. If you don't lube that, then it SQUEEEEEEEEEEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lubrication.

Some spinning parts use sealed ball bearings-- these should not be lubed. The best guide is the service manual which is a worthwhile investment for any machine more than ten years old.

Good stuff.

For those of you who want the best and for which money is no object buy only Caig products. You can't get better stuff than Caig RBR stuff.

Last edited:
Back