Choosing a 4 Track

Rickson Gracie

I had an old Tascam Porta05 many years ago and I found an old box of tapes that were used with it.

Apparently it has standard cassette speed 1 7/8 ips and DBX. I was thinking about getting a 4 track to mess with anyway but I might as well get one with the option of standard cassette speed (and higher speed too) and DBX.

Whats the best 4 track on the used market with these features?

Also having individual outs would be cool too.

Thanks!

Can't say enough about the 424 series...I think you'd have to get at least a mk II to get the individual tracks outs. Has both 1 7/8 and 3 3/4 speeds, dbx, flexible little mixer, servo control transport, etc., etc.

Readily available on the used market for a, uh, song. :D

thanks!

ive been wanting a 246 but i dont believe it has the standard tape speed so i guess the 424 it is:) ill probably try to get the mk2 with the inputs up top for convenience.

Hey Rickson,

As a user of the 246 and 424 portos, I can honestly say that the 246 is a little better in terms of quality, but, the 424 series are frickin' great! As far as fidelity goes, I'm using a 424 mkII and I can't hear any of a difference with it from the 246. Plus, you have a better chance of getting a 424 in mint condition than you do a 246. If you can find a 246 in great condition, snap it up for sure...but a 424 mkII is a beautiful thing:D

I did all of these on a 424 mkII...minus the 246 synth jam (which was done on a Tascam 246):
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=805880&content=music

Back