Cheap Tapes?

Grey Angel

Angel of Shredding
Hey everybody, I'm Meg. I just got my first ever multi-track recorder, a Fostex X-12. I also got some really cheap looking tapes to use with it. I've only recorded over a couple parts of a tape once, and already when I play the tape back, the pitch goes up and down (like those old VHS movies we love to watch from time to time). So, with all that said, I'm asking for some advice. I'me not sure which is the problem, the cheap tapes, or the cheap MTR. I've also read about demagnetizing the head... could that be the problem? Anyway, I'm sure that most of the people at this board can help me out. :D

<DISCLAIMER: I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT>

It's possible your tape is lagging, it may be a little loose, try and tighten the tape if you can. And I doubt dirty heads can create pitch change, but then again, read the above..... :D

If the X-12 is new it is more likely the tape or an issue with the product. The most common causes of the symptoms you describe are a very dirty tape path; a dirty or bad rubber roller (pinch roller) and/or a stretched and worn capstan belt.

The first thing I would do is to get some 99% alcohol or denatured alcohol and clean all the metal parts that the tape comes in contact with, such as the heads, guides, etc.

Don’t clean the rubber roller with alcohol; use Windex if you don’t have rubber cleaner/conditioner made for tape machines.

The pinch roller my be deformed “out of round” or have a deep mark in it if the machine was unplugged and stored in play mode.

There are other more serious things it could be, but the first step is to get everything so clean it looks like new. The rubber should be black and smooth, but not slick or dry. It should not have a ring of brown around the center.

After years of experimenting with tapes and cassette multitracks I can only recommend the following.

TDK SA 60, SA-X 60, SM 60 or SM-X 60
Maxell XLII 60 or XLIIS 60

If you can't find 60 minute you can use the 75 or 90-minute versions of the above in a pinch.

Never at any time should you use 100 or 120-minute cassettes

Regards,
Tim

OK, so if my MTR records at double speed, and I can record for about 30 minutes...I have 60 minute tapes. The quality is still undecided, however.

Also, my MTR is brand-spanking-new. If you can say honestly that they come dirty, then I'll go out and buy some denatured alcohol, otherwise... I'm gonna wait a while.

Finally, I'm sure that the "wow" effect only occurs during parts of the tape I recorded over. (Thanks to Beck for telling me what it's called). So, as long as I record only once, I should be ok (I hope). Anyway, thanks you two for the help.

What kind of tapes are you using now?

Has the unit recently been in the cold, like a car or garage, and has not had time to adjust to room temperature?

A cold machine will run like that too.

Nope, it's been inside. The tapes don't say anything on the outside, not even where they were made. They have "30" stamped onto them (so I guess they're 30 min. tapes) I had to look at the website I bought it from to find the brand: Trutone. But thanks for warning me about the cold temp. thing. Will is not work as well in colder temps?

Yep, very cold temps will cause it to do weird things.

Hey, go out to Wal-Mart or whatever and get some TDK or Maxell Type II, high bias tape. Avoid anything that says "Normal Bias."

Problem solved! (I hope) :)

Grey Angel said:
Also, my MTR is brand-spanking-new. If you can say honestly that they come dirty, then I'll go out and buy some denatured alcohol, otherwise... I'm gonna wait a while.

You really ought to buy some alchohol. You'll need it soon anyway. I swabbed my my old 424 and 488 machines once an hour. They both still work fine after 12+ years. jmho, Dave. :confused:

Back