Cassette - which track is L and which is R ?

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Guys, just a quick question but I wanna be sure. On a typical consumer cassette deck [not a portastudio type] where you have to flip the tape over to record / playback the other side of the tape, which of the tracks on the rec head is the left one and which is right? Is the RIGHT track the one closest to the edge of the tape or .... ?:confused:

They're set up like this:

--------------------------------------------------
Track 1 (Left, Side A) >---------------->
Track 2 (Right, Side B) <----------------<
Track 3 (Right, Side A) >---------------->
Track 4 (Left, Side B) <----------------<

OK, so the RIGHT side is closer to the center of tape and the LEFT side closer to the edge. Thanks so much Harvey!:)

Harvey! Are you lost? What are you doing down here with all of us old analog rats?

my reel to reel TascamA23000SX /pic

this is my fave piece of gear of all time as it was given to me...It sat under a TV at an elderly couples home who are friends of mine. They gave it to me if I would convert their tapes into cd. The tapes were of their children and parents and they love it all in cd now. It made them cry as they said they havent heard them in years.

trying to do some side work now converting reel to reels, 8 track, cassettes etc into cds.

Im somewhat homebound due to back surgeries and really enjoy it.

Its an A2300sx tascam (of course). It is in pristine condition and came with the original manual,three unopened reels of tape, even the cleaning cloth. It smoked when I plugged in the first night, but only needed a few caps.

been keeping heads nice and clean and running this baby non stop with zero problems. Anything I do thats decent I mix down to my masterlink AFTER I mix down to the reel to reel. I even love the smell of it!!

Attachments

• reel to reel.jpg
    reel to reel.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 15
Back