Cassette tapes - HELP

Thanks Reel. That's actually the price I paid. I found that on ebay after searching more as you suggested. It come out to about $21 including shipping.

I just didn't bother to use that exact link for my last question because it was related to how to use the tool, not the cost.

I'm still worried about...

cjacek said:
Btw, do not demag UNLESS you know precisely what you're doing or you may damage the heads.

Can somebody tell me how exactly to use the darn thing?

Thanks

Simply Bass,
A Reel Person & cjacek will tell you & they're TOTALLY RIGHT that the demagnetiser is great but dangerous.
REEL has already talked about distances & media etc. Follow those instructions carefully.
You also have to ensure that the demag wand DOES NOT TOUCH THE HEADS.
This can be achieved with a VERY careful hand but also, at a pinch, by using something on the end of the wand tip to prevent accidental disasters. Mine came with a soft plastic tip cover.
The other fellows will give you better guidance.
I'm stoked that you didn't buy one of the cassette case based demags. they are cute BUT the actually bring the head & demag into contact & that's BAD.

While I'm here - sorry about the DBX/Dolby confusion. Typically I was trying to clarify & instead muddied the waters. You'll see under my avaatar that I'm proudly wearing my "scarlet ribbon".
Cheers & enjoy
rayC

Analog is cool, man.

*The recorder should be off!

The dmag wand should be turned on well away from the recorder and any media. Then bring it in slowly to the tape compartment and wave it around, back & forth & in random patters around the heads and metal tape guides/capstan. That type of wand has a plastic tip, apparently, so I think you could touch the head & metal parts with no problem, but always keep the demag waving around randomly, slowly but deliberately, and never have the wand sitting anywhere staionary near the heads. It loads up the current, so a good idea is 30 sec. on & 30 sec. off, as long as you slowly bring the wand away from the recorder when switching on/off. If there's directions with the wand, read them and follow them accordingly.

;)

simpleybass said:
I'm still worried about... Can somebody tell me how exactly to use the darn thing?

Thanks

TO: Everyone (in the world, except Al-Qaeda) :D

YOU MUST DEMAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if you don't know how, you must learn how.

The demagnetizer itself can only cause harm if it is turned off near the heads, or if it has an exposed metal tip and physically contacts the heads, causing nicks or scratches.

The user guides that come with demagnetizers often say not to turn the demagnetizer off within 2 or 3 feet. In reality one could turn it off within a few inches, but manufacturers want to be sure -- really sure that "Joe User" understands the concept, so do what they say and follow the 2-3 feet rule.

The danger of shutting off accidentally or on purpose is that cutting the degaussing process off in mid cycle can leave the tape head more magnetized than before.

Here's a quote, and a link from Jay McKnight (You know I gotta have a quote). Anyway, if you don't know who Jay McKnight is you should remember that name (impress your friends). Besides being the founder and President of Magnetic Reference Laboratory (MRL calibration tapes) He's been around in the analog tape world longer than most of us have been alive.

J. McKnight said:
“SO WHO CARES ABOUT A LITTLE MAGNETIZATION?
We all do! Magnetization can produce high second harmonic distortion in your recordings. It can produce clicks at tape splices. It can produce low-frequency noise (rumblings and popping), and high-frequency noise (hiss). It can partially erase the recorded signals — especially the short recorded wavelengths (that is, the high frequencies, especially at slower speeds).”

http://www.flash.net/~mrltapes/mcknight_demag.pdf

And a couple other links on how to:

http://www.soundfirst.com/cleandemag.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/mar94/tapecare.html?print=yes
http://www.digitalprosound.com/Htm/TechStuff/2000/Aug/AnalogTape3.htm

:)

Cassette Shell Demag'er

Beck - some great confirmation in the links. ta.
I would like to ask reel,cjacek & beck of their opinion re the reference in the soundonsound link that the demagnetisers enclosed in cassette shells are fine for cassette machines.
Having owned, & briefly used one, I was fairly spun when I saw that the demag tip was a thin metal strip that was in physical contact with the head when the play button was pressed to activate the machine. As i result I've not used mine & have recommended against it when the topic came up.
Any reponse?
Cheers
rayC

rayc said:
opinion re the reference in the soundonsound link that the demagnetisers enclosed in cassette shells are fine for cassette machines.

Personally I'd stay away from a cassette based solution. I don't think a cassette demager is sufficient and good enough and may potentially make things worse. :eek:

I'd say no,...

don't take any chances. Maybe they work, or maybe they damage, but the demag wand is a much better solution.:eek:

Back