cassette tapes

mono-man

What kind of cassette tape should I use for recording (Fostex X-15)?
High Bias or regular bias?
What is the difference? Which one gives better sound quality?

Thanks

High Bias, or even Chrome would be better. Normal Bias is crap. I'd stay away from metal tapes, I've never had much luck with them.

Use high-bias (only BASF, now EMTEC makes CrO2 or "chrome" tape)... I can't think of ANY reason to ever use normal bias tape unless the recorder can't be calibrated to use any other kind. Normal bias is pretty much a performance compromise all around...

Bruce

Stick with TDK,Maxell has discontinued all there best tapes like the high bias XL-IIS and the metal MX-S tape both where great tapes but they are no more,Shame on maxell,guess they think everyone in the world has switched to digital but they guess wrong.Bad for them good for TDK.Try TDK SA-X or the pro version SM-X they are exellent.Try www.tapeworld.com they have great prices and fast delivery too.

VHS

Are you using it as a back up or not? If you are try recording to VHS tape. It has a better recording quality and a more dynamic range. Just a thought

I have SM-X SA-X BASF PRO I and MAXELL for sale

Just thought I would let those looking for blank cassettes know that I carry over 200 types of cassette tapes ( including SM SM-X SA-X BASF PRO I BASF MASTER REFERANCE II and Various TDK SONY MAXELL BASF THAT'S DENON MEMOREX JVC AKAI ETC ) for sale at my e bay store: ebaytape.com ;0}

Type II = CrO2 = high bias

They are the only tapes suitable for cassette multitracking.

Don't use Type I or Metal. Multitrackers are designed for Type II.

Musician's Fiend has 30-minute Sony cassettes that are supposed to be good for multitracking. That's 15 minutes in one direction, or 7:30 at 2x speed if you have it. I would use those for multitrack masters, one cassette per song.

For more of a 4-track idea notepad or live recordings, you can go up to a 90 (45) minute cassette (normal speed), but don't go to 110. 110s are too thin and break too easily.

Added: OMG, I just noticed I'm replying to a 7-year-old topic.

All multitrack cassette machines are set up for high bias, but if you have a few normal bias tapes sitting around doing nothing use them up anyway:D

--

They are the highest grade Maxell Type II tape produced for multitrackers.

"Pro" grade cassettes, if you will.:eek:;)

Back