cassette tape frequency range?

Kasey

what is the frequency range of a cassette tape (or a cassette deck, whichever is pertinent)?

is it different for normal, high bias, and metal tapes?

Metal tapes generally have the highest frequency response, with Type II high bias a close second.

A really good cassette deck will have a high frequency response in the range of 16-18 kHz using Type II tape. Metal tape can be as high as 20kHz, and normal bias form 12 - 16, depending on the tape deck and noise reduction used or not used.

Decks from Nakamichi, Tascam, Denon, etc, tend to sound more open with better high frequency response.

Higher is not necessarily better because there are other factors that come into play. Personally I would skip the metal tape route and stick with TDK SA-X or Maxell XL-IIS (if you can find it.)

-Tim :)

Beck said:
Metal tapes generally have the highest frequency response, with Type II high bias a close second.

A really good cassette deck will have a high frequency response in the range of 16-18 kHz using Type II tape. Metal tape can be as high as 20kHz, and normal bias form 12 - 16, depending on the tape deck and noise reduction used or not used.

Decks from Nakamichi, Tascam, Denon, etc, tend to sound more open with better high frequency response.

Higher is not necessarily better because there are other factors that come into play. Personally I would skip the metal tape route and stick with TDK SA-X or Maxell XL-IIS (if you can find it.)

-Tim :)

what about low frequency range?

Here are some specs from Tascam 122/122 decks. It varys a little between manufacturers though.

Attachments

• wpe1.gif
    wpe1.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 3,948
Beck said:
Here are some specs from Tascam 122/122 decks. It varys a little between manufacturers though.
Great service for guys who can't click-a-link. :) God knows... you may even get a thank you for it. ;)

- I'm hungry
- Give me piece of bread
- now, you bite it
- chew it for me
- now, swallow
- Why I'm still hungry????
:D

/respects

Back