Cassette resurgence (BBC News)

That is great to see. I recently stocked up on cassette decks out of nostagia and the fact that at the time my 2 vehicles both had cassette decks in them, a 97 and an 02. I know they have their limitations but damn, they are actually little self enclosed reel to reels. I sold the 02 and bought a 2010 Ford Transit Connect Mini Van. Of course no cassette deck but a CD player! I have 2 mint Tascam 122MKII's and a NIB Tascam 103. I love to drive around in the 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee listening to jams we had the night before.
VP

Thanks for the link jp...

A couple of notable quotes:

In a digital age artists are turning to the cassette as an intriguing and challenging format - a ready-made frame for sound art.

It's actually the beginning of a resurgence of older technology in the same way they got rid of vinyl records and now they're are selling more again.

I have hundreds of albums and they're all on cassette. My Dad bought me a cassette recorder back in '75 and you could say that was the beginning of my concrete usage of recording implements {he had a reel to reel in the 60s and as a kid I was fascinated that sound could be recorded. Well, not so much sound, but me and my sisters ! }. Since I got one, I've never been without a cassette player. Excluding walkmans and car systems, I don't think I've had more than 10.
I used to have everything on vinyl and even then, I'd record them all onto tape. A few years back, I put my entire record collection onto CD and sold the vinyl {that was how I funded my VSTs}. I still have everything on tape. In fact, the only time I play CDs or whatevers is when I'm rerecording the albums coz the tape has reached the end of it's life.
My friends laugh at me coz they left tape behind in the early 90s for the most part. But I like the fact that I can fit 3 LPs on a 120. I'm not and never have been an 'analog gives you better sound quality' crusader because I simply don't know whether it does. I'm too busy digging the music contained within to care !
It's a funny thing because the shelf life of tapes vary. Some of mine I've had for 22 years and they still play well. Some last 5 years. Some 10. Some 15. The manufacturers of cassette recorders would always put something like "We do not recommend the use of 120s...." on the manual, something to do with thinner tapes and getting mangled. But that's not been my experience. I've used them for years.
As a teenager in the 70s, when I'd fly abroad, I'd take my cassette player and my earpiece {I can't believe I used to listen to stuff with that. In one ear !!} with me and I loved it. I'm sure I was seen by someone who ended up working for SONY and developed the walkman !:) The walkman was like a dream come true for me, whether riding/bussing all over London, driving all over the UK and Europe with bands of rowdy kids or washing up or building, I always had it with me.
I don't know whether the cassette really is making a lasting 'resurgence'. I don't really care as long as they still make blank ones !:D When my friends laugh at me and imply I'm a dinosaur, I just laugh and say 'each to their own'. Heck, I may be prehistoric, but I'm still around, unlike the rest of my ilk ! I escaped extinction !!:cool:

I've seen mentions of this sort of thing in many venues.

The Wire and Signal To Noise - both great music magazines - occasionally mention cassette releases. That is, either the releases themselves, or the phenomenon/resurgence of cassette releases.

I have 400 blank 62-minute cassettes that I was going to use for a particular project. That project didn't come through, but I believe I will be using them for a project in the first half of this year.

I say, "Why not?". If nobody wants a cassette, that's fine. Widespread appeal / accessibility sometimes isn't the primary objective.

I've always preferred even the lowly Philips cassette to CD and certainly any mp3. Call me crazy (people do) but I can listen to tape all day without ear fatigue. Not many CDs I can listen to for long. Many mp3's I can't listen to at all.

Back