cassette deck belt replacement questions...

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
I'm working on a cassette deck now, replacing capstan and cam belts (major dis-assembly pain:facepalm: ) and the plan is to replace the belts using the original belt length minus 20%. The belts aren't falling off yet but I thought I'd get some which will last for many years. Is the 20% an issue? Second question: There is a small white stripe across the width of the capstan belt. Is that for timing or just a factory defect? If it's for timing, is there a problem with me just drawing my own white stripe using liquid paper or chalk? Thanks!:)

First off, I'd try to contact the associated parts department of said mystery deck and see if they carry the original official replacement parts rather then guessing at a size ratio which may or may not work out. And considering the pain it is to disassemble to get to it, I'd hate to see you going through all that for nothing. About the white line, I'd not attempt to replace it with a home made solution as that might contaminate the rubber and kill it prematurely.

Cheers! :)

Thanks Jeff.

It's a no go as far as original belts. None available. It's a Sony early 90's ES 3 head cassette deck (black face). I forget the model #. I have a place Studio Sound Electronics which sells replacements (non original - for 2 bucks a piece). I already dis-assembled and very carefully (obsessively) measured the original old belts.

Well, if your supplier says they have the correct non OEM belt for that model, I guess that would be good enough if they're a reputable place. And for 2 bucks, it's not a major loss if they're wrong! :)

Well, actually, they only provide various sizes, shapes and thicknesses and you get to measure the old belt, subtract whatever amount for stretching and matching up whatever you get with what they have. I'm lucky to get to do the hard part :D but... I see re-sellers on eBay charge several times for that same belt. ....:rolleyes: There are some sellers which do that work for you but I would rather do my own guess-work. ;) So that's why I asked whether 20% seems reasonable... Also, not sure what I'll do with that white stripe...

Yeah, I was just poking around ebay to see what ES series belts go for and the only one that looked good was 44 bucks! :eek:

But it did come with some official looking instructions from Sony, so it probably was legit!...maybe?! :D

Is it the TC 177 perchance? If so I should have the service manual for that somewhere.
I definitely have one for the TC-153SD which was a very high quality portable stereo machine.

Cost? Free! +postage.

Dave.

Hi Dave. I appreciate that but no, it's the TC-K717ES in fact. I have the service manual and not looking for any original parts, rather to source my own belts which fit. I have the source, measurements etc... I'm good with all of that. I was just asking how much to account for stretching (as belts stretch overtime) and whether 20% is acceptable for belts which did not fall off but have stretched somewhat. That plus the white stripe. Just seeking some opinions, that's all. ;)

Back