Can you id this retro gizmo?

Not sure. Looks like there is a pair of headphones hanging from it. Maybe some kind of monitoring device????

Pretty sure that's a Hear Back PRO 16-Channel Personal Monitoring Mixer System......mk1, of course.

Really though, I've no idea.

We had something like that in band in high school. We even had a chromatic one, with 12 different strobes, one for each note.

Well, there is a move and tune instrument right there and the box has a big dial "tuner" Missing some contex ? Looks outside and there's that thing coming out of the conductors head !

I had no idea there was such a thing as a strobe tuner. But now I do, I want one...

Peterson has always made the best strobe tuners, (the best tuners) but they absolutely suck at marketing. This is why no one who easnt playing in the 70's knows about them.

A strobe tuner is the proper tool to use for setting intonation.

I had no idea there was such a thing as a strobe tuner. But now I do, I want one...

Check out Peterson Strobe Tuners: https://www.petersontuners.com/shop/Strobe-Tuners

They still make the high-end mechanical hardware units...but they also make soft virtual strobes too, in hardware packaging or pure software.

I've been using a Peterson V-SAM for about 15 years now...it's a virtual strobe in a large hand-held hardware package. It's a studio must, IMO, as it has a huge variety of tunings, including their "sweetened" tunings for many specific instruments.

I actually have two of them. I picked up a second one when I saw they were going to move more toward these smaller packaged "gadget" tuners and pure software stuff...though they do have a nice rack unit that is a virtual strobe, but it's a rack unit...not the best option when you need to use it in a variety of ways, not near the rack.

They still make the big mothership mechanical hardware unit...which has even more options, including all kinds of "stretch" tunings designed for various piano types.
I've wanted one of those for a long time...but even used (the later models, not the real old stuff) they can cost a few hundred bucks.

Back