Which calibration tape do I need?

The guy I bought it from said it was set up for 456.
It also says in the manual that the factory setting is for Scotch 226,which appears to be equal to Ampex/Quantegy 456.
P.5-6 of the manual says that the 226 and 456 has reference flux of 250 nWb/m,relative level of +2.6db,and is MRL NAB standard.

Looking at US Recording,they show alignment tapes at IEC 250 to be for Quantegy 406,407,478,and 480.
NAB 355 shows to be for Quantegy 456,499,and GP9.

Bear in mind I'm an utter newbie at analog-I'm not snapping to why the Otari spec sheets show the 226/456 at 250,whereas the US Recording site shows them at 355.
Can you give me a brief explanation as to what all this means?

Also,would this mean that if I should ever want to be able to swap back and forth between something like 456 and 406,then I will need 2 alignment tapes?
Thanks.

Don't deal with middlemen. Call MRL direct, tell them the machine (they know them all), tell them you need a test tape referenced to 250 nanowebers, and they'll sell you what you need.

Hello,... I have that info right here.

MRL 31J229
1/2" multi-frequency, for use on 1/2" 8-track & 16-track recorders
15 ips, full length
IEC1
250 nWb/m (+3/185)

http://www.tangible-technology.com/media/4mr/mrltapes.html

I use this tape on my Tascam 38. The advantage is with getting a multifrequency test tape, instead of individual tapes for each purpose,... like one-stop-shopping for calibrations/alignment on one handy reel.

Okay?

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Oops!! You're right!! So sorry!!

I had my MRL tape in a storage container in less than readily accessible status. I've now dug it out and verified, and you're right! Pardon my memory lapse!! I'd actually gotten the 31J219 at first, and had to exchange it for the 31J229. Memory lapse! My mistake, entirely! I appreciate your astuteness! Next time I'll check before I post!!

You need the MRL 31J229 !!!

Please catch my edit, above!! :eek:

Thanx!

/DA ;)

Back