Calibration

IEC would be the standard that the Akai would be set too but, before we dive into the art, skill and procedures of calibration, you might just want to make a recording on it first and see if it even needs any!

Chances are the machine is still at it's factory settings which would have been fine for Ampex/Quantegy 456, 457, 406, 407 and the competitors equivalents.

The goal of calibration is to make several internal adjustments that would ensure that when you make a recording on the machine with a give tape formulation that the output comes out sounding like the source, ( for the most part), and that the levels are consistent with the input.

So, if you record a set of test tones of say 250 Hz,1Khz and 10Khz at zero db on the meters and it plays back at zero db on the meters, it's pretty much calibrated.

The same test could also be done with a familiar recording and carefully watch the meters on record and playback and noting any wild frequency response anomalies.

Generally, calibration is about a 50 step process that involves both mechanical alignments and adjustments followed by a battery of electrical adjustments with special test tapes, oscilloscope and voltage meter equipment.

It is a job best left to a professional technician in most cases.

When my MS-16 needs calibration, I hire a technician to come over to the house and do the job for me once every few years.

As he comes with all the tapes and equipment, I think I am ahead of the game financially and in terms of skill and experience, I would always happily pay a professional to do a job like that.

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:

Generally, calibration is about a 50 step process that involves both mechanical alignments and adjustments followed by a battery of electrical adjustments with special test tapes, oscilloscope and voltage meter equipment.

It is a job best left to a professional technician in most cases.

When my MS-16 needs calibration, I hire a technician to come over to the house and do the job for me once every few years.

As he comes with all the tapes and equipment, I think I am ahead of the game financially and in terms of skill and experience, I would always happily pay a professional to do a job like that.
Cheers! :)

It will cost you more to buy all the proper testing gear than what it will cost to have a tech come out and do it. Just the MRL alone is worth having tech come out :)

SoMm

Back