calibrating, biasing, setting up tascam 388

I got two pairs of 388 heads relapped. I'm planning on getting a local electronics store to reinstall, calibrate, and basically just get this machine at 100% working condition. What're some things I should ask to be done on a machine that's been sitting for a while. I'm getting the 388 set up for scotch 207, I want to make sure all the EQ's on the mixer section function as should. How would I ask this, without challenging the technicians integrity? The guy who relapped the heads told me to make sure he had MRL test tape for a 7.5 ips tape machine. I guess I'm nervous about the electronics store working on the machine because it deals with more home stereo equipment, although the technician said he was capable of allignment, calibration, and other procedures on my 388. Any insight appreciated.

thanks

I don't blame you for being a little apprehensive. Calibrating a multitrack deck like the 388 is a skill not many possess these days. You should have the Operation/Maintenance manual and the appropriate calibration tape at the very least, plus a blank reel of 3m 207 of course. Don't worry about challenging him in a cordial way by asking questions. Make sure he knows what he's getting into... and what you're getting into.

Installing and properly aligning heads, setting bias and levels of each track, and adjusting the dbx noise reduction will be required. Conditioning of the rubber pinch roller is recommended, but it is possible it may have to be replaced. A new capstan drive belt will surely be needed if this has been sitting around a long time.

Other than that, if you want him to tear into the unit and get every knob and slider working it can get quite costly. In the best case simply working the knobs and sliders will blow the dust out... but you may have to literally blow the dust out with compressed air. It can get more or less complicated depending on the machine in question.

Working on the mixer section is less complicated if all you're looking at is cleaning/lubing. You can do that yourself... hopefully.

He should have the general test equipment for the rest of the calibration if he works on open-reel decks.

If you are paying, ask if you can be there? If they know what they are doing, they may say yes. If they are clueless, as most would be to be honest, nowadays, they will say no and invent a realistic sounding reason. With the right test gear, and it's not amazing stuff, you can do this yourself. Most studios did it themselves as did practically all home recordists. The manuals were amazingly simple. Connect a scope to test point 6, play calibration tape X and adjust for maximum or minimum - very simple stuff really.

Most,if not all techs,(competent or not),do not like you being there while they are working on ,unless you are willing to pay extra because it will take a lot longer with you there.Too much of a distraction.But any good tech will demonstrate to you that it is calibrated correctly when you go to pick it up.Make sure you verify that the tech has a proper playback alignment tape-most don't -especially a consumer stereo store.

Back