buying analog machine

foreverain4

where do you look to buy a decent analog reel to reel? looking for 16 track 1" or 2", maybe even 24 track 2". any places online you guys go to regularly?

foreverain4 said:
where do you look to buy a decent analog reel to reel? looking for 16 track 1" or 2", maybe even 24 track 2". any places online you guys go to regularly?

Try studio brokers. They consign/list recorders and you can (if they live near you) look and test the machine before purchase. Local papers are good too.

eBay, despite all the ebayers out there I still would never buy a recorder on eBay. I have to see it and test it to be confident enough to buy it.

The bottom line is that if you are gonna eBay, you are on par with the world's greatest expert in analog recorders. You both have no ability to see the machine in person and both of you will have an equal chance of buying a complete turkey.

Anyway, good luck with it!

I have made a few ebay purchases. While I agree with previous opinions, and that is by far the ideal way to purchase, I bought my 488MKII, sold my 424MKIII(practivally brand new when I did) and have an MSR-16 from a recording engineer on the way from ebay. Also got some outboard gear from ebay. I'll let you know how the MSR is when it arrives next week. Without testing, it is always risky...kind of like it would be buying a used car off of ebay, but I must say (knock on wood) nothing bad yet. My key is to communicate often with the seller with open-ended and "feeler" questions to get a sense of what they are about. I never take the approach of "I'm looking for something perfect and willing to pay a lot to get it...is your item perfect?". The answer would be pre-conditioned in most cases. If you build a comfort level with the seller, it is not a bad place to buy. There are always risks, though. Don't write off ebay, but if you can see it and hear it in person, that is the way to go (if you know what you are looking and listening for!). It's a big investment, so best thing is to get a comfort level within yourself, whether in person purchase, used studio gear, or ebay. Feel your gut and use your senses is what I would recommend.

I've made many recorder purchases off Ebay that were fine,...

but I always prefer a deal or seller that's within a reasonable distance for local pickup. The largest and heaviest items don't ship well, and it's imperative that the seller does a topnotch job packing, to avoid damage.

I'd not recommend trying to ship a 16/24tr 2" machine, as they are the size of a small refridgerator. The 1"-16-track would be questionable as to whether or not to ship, and I'd take that on a case-by-case basis.

I'd prefer to pick up in person anything that's super-large or heavy. Even smaller units (Portastudios) may be damaged in shipping, if not packed properly. :eek:

Most of my Ebay recording equipment deals were fine, with exception of several items that got damaged in shipping. It's always the packer's fault for inadequate packing.

A Reel Person said:
but I always prefer a deal or seller that's within a reasonable distance for local pickup. The largest and heaviest items don't ship well, and it's imperative that the seller does a topnotch job packing, to avoid damage.

I'd not recommend trying to ship a 16/24tr 2" machine, as they are the size of a small refridgerator. The 1"-16-track would be questionable as to whether or not to ship, and I'd take that on a case-by-case basis.

I'd prefer to pick up in person anything that's super-large or heavy. Even smaller units (Portastudios) may be damaged in shipping, if not packed properly. :eek:

Most of my Ebay recording equipment deals were fine, with exception of several items that got damaged in shipping. It's always the packer's fault for inadequate packing.

I would add that a port-studio, MSR16 and any tape deck used for non-pro work is a better gamble than any pro unit that is actually used in a pro recording studio. Most hobby recordists don't use their recorders much in comparison to a working studio. Those pro units MUST be seen and checked out in person and usually a head report is mandatory. Shipping is in the $800 and up range and they will only drop it off at your door. If you have to go up stairs (like me) then you will have a fun time with a machine that weighs 600lbs and is the size of a washing machine or bigger.

Back