Buyin some used reels, need some opinions

Bguzaldo

I'm starting to demo with a friends band for their new EP and don't feel like spending a lot of money on tape so were gonna just do some live 2track stuff for now and I thought I'd snag some of these cheap reels....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220664088713&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Any that I should avoid? The machine I'm using is a crappy old concord 555, if it helps to know, its a crappy consumer machine from 1965, gets the job done and sounds pretty cool.

Any help would be appreciated,
-Barrett

i recently bought a boat load of 1/4 mostly scotch and old memorex and most of it seems good, haven't tried out all out yet, might check locally on cl or other ads and see if you can find some cheaper.

Don't do it. Buying used / old tape is a crapshoot and you'll often lose.

Unrelated, but I have two new, unused 7" reels of LPR35 that I want to get rid of. I bought 'em for a deck that I ended up throwing away and I have no need for them. PM me if you're interested.

Don't do it. Buying used / old tape is a crapshoot and you'll often lose.

Unrelated, but I have two new, unused 7" reels of LPR35 that I want to get rid of. I bought 'em for a deck that I ended up throwing away and I have no need for them. PM me if you're interested.

That sounds about right.

Stay away from old Ampex (400 series, I think). messy and have to clean heads,reading late dad's old notes... Maxell UD/XL good tape, stay away from the "EE" hard on the heads. I have had really good recordings with BASF, Scotch 200, EMTEC, Zoinal, Maxell UD/XL, Revox 621. There are others that are Ok, depends on what your machine was "Biased" on when new.
All this depends on if the old tape was stored correctly. So there is the crap shoot. Buying one tape from someone who was the orginal owner like that add,
if one erases and records OK. Go back $4.00 each is a good deal for good tape. The best used tape I have purchased was from a shop that bulk erased them and tested them before he put them up for auction. The more tape on a reel the thinner the tape and it will stretch quicker.

I'm starting to demo with a friends band for their new EP and don't feel like spending a lot of money on tape so were gonna just do some live 2track stuff for now and I thought I'd snag some of these cheap reels....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220664088713&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Any that I should avoid? The machine I'm using is a crappy old concord 555, if it helps to know, its a crappy consumer machine from 1965, gets the job done and sounds pretty cool.

Any help would be appreciated,
-Barrett

Kudos for doing live to 2-track. I wish more folks would record that way.

Back