Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Burn a CD? What do you analog guys/gals use?

Thanks

Burn a CD? What do you analog guys/gals use?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm all analog but need I'll need to burn a mix to a CD sooner or latter. What do you use? I still have Cubasis VST on a Windows 98 'puter with the soundcard I tried to use moons ago, has all sorts of "mastering" plugs but I never got the hang of it. So again, what can a old analog caveman use?

Note: Not sure if this belongs in the Analog forum, if not sorry in advance.
    If I only had a brain

Thanks
    Hi,

You could try getting hold of a stand alone CD burner, then you won't need to worry about a computer.

Tascam, HHB and a few others make them and there are a few special prices and second hand ones floating around.

Cheers

Alan

http://cgi.ebay.com/HHB-Burn-It-Pro-...3A1%7C294%3A50
    http://www.tascam.com/catalogue;40,18.html
    http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/usa/hhbprod...r882/index.asp

Thanks
    If you have a decent sound-card, one which generates no noise and records a clean signal, then all you need is this (attached). That's all I use and I have integrated audio on my old abit card. I then use a simple program to record to wav format. Sounds fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 41h-llci4rl-_ss500_-jpg  

Thanks
    I've used a stand alone sony cd recorder for the last 5-10 (?) years (got it for around $300 close to when they first came out).

They are really intuitive and I imagine can be had for cheaper these days. They function so much like a tape deck...just set the levels and press record...that's pretty much it. Only drawback is if you don't like the track there's no going back...unless you use CD RWs which are more pricey but less wasteful.

Thanks
    The way is was thinking was that gerard only had an old windows 98 machine that he did not get the hang of, and that he wanted to stay analog as long as possible in the signal chain. So mix down to an analog 2 track and when the mix was right, transfer via a CD recorder to digital (CD master).

Is that what is wanted?

Alan.

Beck Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Burn a CD? What do you analog guys/gals use?
    We all use various methods. A good soundcard can do the trick. I use a professional stand-alone CD burner, Fostex CR300, which is the same (except for color) as the HHB CDR-850. They are both made by Pioneer, based on the PDR-555RW.

I used to recommend the Pioneer PDR-555RW as a low-cost alternative to the pro decks, but lately I’ve seen the Fostex and HHB units go for little more than the Pioneer model on the used market. There are newer models out there of course, but my CR300 has been so dependable and sounds so good I still recommend it (and the HHB version).

Thanks
    Thanks guys! Yep, need to keep it simple and would like to try not using a computer. I have a Otari MX-50 2 track for mixdown and I'll try the stand alone CD burner. The VST software has alot of "plugs" that I'm sure would make the mix sound more "mastered"(?) and I may play around with it down the road again. Thanks again!

Jerry
    If I only had a brain

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Thanks guys! Yep, need to keep it simple and would like to try not using a computer. I have a Otari MX-50 2 track for mixdown and I'll try the stand alone CD burner. The VST software has alot of "plugs" that I'm sure would make the mix sound more "mastered"(?) and I may play around with it down the road again. Thanks again!

Jerry

Hey, I have a MX50. Very nice machine.

I wish you could talk to my computer guru friend that was sure that CD's could be acurately burned directly on his PC. He uses Protools. But he couldn't figure out why his CD's always sounded like crap. I use and suggested that he get a dedicated Tascam CD-RW 700. He finally did and problem was solved. There are some things that work better the old way.

Thanks
    Thanks again for the info! I'll be looking for a used Tascam CD-RW 700, Fostex CR 300, or HHB CDR-850. Let the hunt begin!
    If I only had a brain

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pianodano View Post
    I use and suggested that he get a dedicated Tascam CD-RW 700. He finally did and problem was solved. There are some things that work better the old way.
    Didn't realize that a stand alone CD recorder was considered the "old way"..

Thread Information