Bulk Magnetic Tape Eraser???

VESSEL2020

Somewhere in Space
Can anyone recommend a good "brand name" bulk tape eraser?:confused:
Need a strong eraser to erase a bunch of one pass recordings on 7' & 10' reels.
I see a bunch listed in different auctions,...like Realistic, Radio Shack,
Robins, etc. but I'm not sure which one to go with.

Had a Realistic years ago, that my father kicked down to me...but it got lost on my travels.

Not lookin' to spend a crazy amount of $.
$50 or less.

I'm curious too. I have this big thing that my old office used to erase dictaphone tapes and I think I used it to erase a VHS tape once...

Also, this is a total Noob type question, but I'm assuming you want to remove the metal reel before you erase the tape?

You don't need to remove the flanges.

Dunno if anybody is still making them.

I've got a handheld one by Inmac...

I've also got this:

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

I've also got this:

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG
sweetbeats,
I don't know why,...
But I really like that thingamajiggy tape eraser!
Saw it in one of you other posts.
That machine is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!:D
I just like really odd old/vintage stuff like that.
Does it work?

I haven't actually tried using it yet, but it powers up and hums and the reel table spins when you actuate the proper switch and shut the door. I'll know more when I can test it on a tape. When I first got it with the MM-1000 I didn't even have 1" tape to try it on, and once I had tape and had run some tests on the MM-1000 I'd sort of forgetten about the SE-10 (that's the model of the Ampex unit).

I'll know more in a month or two as I have four 1" reels and six 2" reels of 499 that are used that'll need bulk erasure.

I'd bet money it works. Notice the Ampex asset tag on it...this was in their one of their facilities somewhere.

You load the reel on the table, lock it down with the instrumentation type clamper and then press the switch and close the door. A motor rotates the tape reel while the degaussing coils pass above and below the reel. Its all automatic. When its done the appropriate lamp glows. It weighs at least 40lbs.

BTW, I bought my Inmac bulk eraser from Beck. The price was reasonable and he had good experience with them. I believe he still has one. Its worked very well on 1/4" and 1/2" tape and I believe it will even work on 1" tape.

I think the Radio Shack bulk erasers are good too.

I didn't even have 1" tape to try it on, and once I had tape and had run some tests on the MM-1000 I'd sort of forgetten about the SE-10 (that's the model of the Ampex unit).

I'll know more in a month or two as I have four 1" reels and six 2" reels of 499 that are used that'll need bulk erasure.

Now you've sparked my curiosity...
It only erases 1" & 2" tape? What keeps it from erasing smaller sizes?
That's weird. :confused:

BTW, I bought my Inmac bulk eraser from Beck. The price was reasonable and he had good experience with them. I believe he still has one. Its worked very well on 1/4" and 1/2" tape

I think the Radio Shack bulk erasers are good too.

That's exactly what I need it for...1/4 & 1/2
Thanks, I'll message him to see if he still has it.
and thanks for the tip on the Radio Shack ones too!

Oh...duh...yeah...I only mentioned 1" and 2" because I'd [robably use the handheld Inmac just for convenience on the narrower stuff ATM...and the SE-10 has that AWESOME instrumentation reel clamper...and as you see it in the picture it is setup for 1" tape. I'll have to have my machinist friend make up a thicker spacer for the 2" tape...and I'd have to do the same for more narrow formats or stack them up. So I guess that's the biggest reason is that it gets kind of setup for one format, not that it can't physically degauss others. You'd find one of these at the TV station by the quad video decks and so they'd only be degaussing 2" tape. I imagine this SE-10 is setup for 1" as I have a feeling it has been hanging around with the MM-1000 which is setup for 1" and there were a whole bunch of video sweetening reels that came with the MM-1000, which spent some time at Universal Studios at some point. Pink Panther Returns, Mary Poppins...can't remember what else.

Some professional models to look for on eBay:

Hand-held Models:
-Inmac Data Strike 7180
-RCA R60
-Magneraser 200
-Sonar Videoraser VX-1401 and VX-1601 (my personal fav)
Here ya go... and NOS even...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280597853744

Tabletop Models:
-Fidelipac Model 400
-AUDIOLAB TD-1B

The Realistic 44-233A will also work fine for cassette and ¼” reels.
But make sure it is the 233A and not just the 233. The one with the ‘A’ suffix has more power.

There are a many models. I'm just recommending these off the top of my head.

Some professional models to look for on eBay:

Hand-held Models:
-Inmac Data Strike 7180
-RCA R60
-Magneraser 200
-Sonar Videoraser VX-1401 and VX-1601 (my personal fav)
Here ya go... and NOS even...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280597853744

Tabletop Models:
-Fidelipac Model 400
-AUDIOLAB TD-1B

The Realistic 44-233A will also work fine for cassette and ¼” reels.
But make sure it is the 233A and not just the 233. The one with the ‘A’ suffix has more power.

There are a many models. I'm just recommending these off the top of my head.

Thanks for the tips Beck!
I'm gonna go with the Sonar Videoraser.

Back