Bouncing tracks with a Mackie CR1604 into a Tascam 424mkiii

Jzoha18

Hello, im waiting on my 8 track to be repaired but had my mackie CR1604 rigged up for it so i just took the 4 tape outs of my 424mk3 into the 4 tape return channels im running on my mackie and the 4 direct outs to the 4 line inputs on the tascam. my question is how would i bounce with the mackie on the tascam? as far as i can tell with the tape outs being used on the 424mkiii all the panning buss controls on the portastudios mixer are bypassed but the mackies inputs track only the the channel they are directly connected too. the panning on tracking doesnt make a difference what buss or channel it hits. it only records to its corresponding channel and the return monitor the tracks for mixdown. do i have to unplug the mackie and bounce with the portastudio then repatch the mackie and continue the session? Im confused as this split console setup im using in theory could be used with a standalone 4 track that has no mixing controls built in so there must be a way to bounce on the mackie in a split console setup? any ideas?

Well, you could either bounce two tracks to two tracks, which would have limited benefit, or you could bounce three tracks down to one, which would have to be mono. If you bounce three to one you could then record over the original three. Or just record over two of the three, then bounce those two plus the first bounce to one track. In any case, you need to use an output that gives a mixed signal, like a post fader send or one side of the stereo bus.

what would be the connections and routing on the mackie to bounce down track 1-3 to track 4 on the 424mkiii? that is basically what im trying to do.

I assume you're referring to the original CR1604. I would use line outs of the Tascam to line inputs of the Mackie (RCA-1/4") and Mono output from the Mackie back to the Tascam input #3 (1/4"). Keep things panned center. If you want to do another 3 to 1 bounce, just repatch the inputs and outputs of the Tascam. The Mackie can stay patched as described.

I'm going on decades old memory so I could be a little fuzzy on the details.

You might consider bouncing to a separate stereo recorder, like a good open reel or HiFi VHS, then back to the Tascam. That way you can record four tracks, have stereo bounces and save your earlier tracks in case you want to "undo" a step or two.

I got it all figured out and posted the results in the recordings thread! Im getting some interference off the main outs of the mackie that i have gotten on other equipment before and im not sure if its bad outlets or the mess of cables all near eachother or if im using unbalanced 1/4 TS to RCA cables to feed the tape machine from the mixer. my mixdown deck only has RCA I/O. any tips on reducing non tape related interference?

Back