Best Way to sync a TSR-8 to DAW (Cubase Le)

Sounds like I may be getting in over my head, but what do you mean by making up the right cables? Is this one of those situations where the cables don't exist anymore and need to built?

If you go down the route of having the computer control the TSR-8, or having two TSR-8s locked together, you will need some special, nonstandard cables. These will need to be constructed.

Perhaps I'm facing this situation anyways with the pps-100, for I need to get it into the TSR 8 somehow...

If you're using the TSR-8 as master to control the computer, it should be bog-standard. If it's like the TS-1, you'll likely need nothing more than a pair of RCA -> jack leads to connect the PPS to the deck, and a MIDI cables to connect the PPS to the computer. These can likely be had off-the-shelf.

If you're using the TSR-8 as master to control the computer, it should be bog-standard. If it's like the TS-1, you'll likely need nothing more than a pair of RCA -> jack leads to connect the PPS to the deck, and a MIDI cables to connect the PPS to the computer. These can likely be had off-the-shelf.

Yeah...this is one reason that people typically slave the DAW to the deck. The hardware to sync the two is cheaper and more readily available and cabling is much easier to deal with. Plus the deck won't have to do as much shuttling to hunt/find/lock to the code when you change the timeline location in the DAW.

The con IMO to slaving the DAW, and it may be splitting hairs and is one of those things that will never be settled AFAIC, is that you are referencing the digital clock to the mechanics of the analog deck. When you slave the DAW it is locking to and following the atr. A digital clock is more accurate and consistent than a tape transport. Good clocking is an important issue in the digital world. I clock my DAW to my Presonus Digimax FS which has (IMHO) a decent budget-level clock in it...everything sounds better when setting that clock as the reference as opposed to my Yamaha 01X. Not that the Yamaha is bad or anything, but when I got the Digimax everything sounded less "smeary". Now after all that, if I made the atr the clock reference, my hunch is that I'd be able to hear it as a step-down from the Yamaha clock, or maybe not...haven't tried it. Worst case if your computer is underpowered for you DAW and/or projects (and I'm not necessarily just talking about CPU and RAM, but the buss architecture, HDD specs and how the OS is tuned), you might find that you get pops and clicks in your recording and playback from the DAW if it runs out of buffers trying to constantly resolve the tiny changes in the "master clock", the atr. This really isn't an issue anymore but it was at one time. For me personally it is a decision based on ideals; I want my digital audio workstation to reference a digital clock, not the analog timecode. So I have a Tascam ES-50 synchronizer and a Tascam 58. The 58's capstan motor, like your TSR-8, can be controlled externally and the ES-50 can control it so the tape speed stays in step with a master code source that comes from my DAW.

I had to make the cable. PITA. Only about $30 in parts but a lot of research. Mine was a bit more of a worst-case scenario since the 58 is older, and the ES-50 is less common. Tascam had the wiring diagram and they were able to help, but it was a project.

sync%20cable.JPG

sync%20cable%20ends.JPG

sync%20cable%20detail.JPG

I agree that for your purposes I would recommend slaving the DAW and keeping it simple. I still believe that the way I'm doing it is right for me, but I also believe I'm in the minority and there's a reason for that.

Wow. Last time I was looking for a MicroLynx I couldn't find one for less than a grand (which was close to $2000 USD at the time). The Lynx machines are serious business... assuming you can make up the correct cables, they're able to make the tape deck slave to the computer, or another tape deck.

It's most likely overkill for what you're doing at the moment, but if you're ever planning to lock two TSR-8s together or something (and assuming the thing works), grab it.

It's amazing isn't it. It means business. I paid $500.00 for one of mine 5 years ago. I have 2 now. Maybe I'll buy another tonight.

Unless the original poster will be using his DAW as a sequencer ONLY, ie: NO AUDIO, trying to slave a computer to tape is not the way to go. Slave the recorder. That's what the Microlynx does. It will convert MTC from the DAW into smpte and resolve and lock the recorder in a heartbeat. Yep, you'll need to make a cable up.

Microlynx info and cable wiring. http://www.sessioncontrol.com/TL_archives.htm

As an aside, anybody remember seeing the name Timeline on a Tascam MX2424 ? Yep, that's the same Timeline company that made Microlynx.

Last edited:
Nice craftsmanship there Sweetbeats, you should open up shop! Unfortunately, that's beyond me at this point. I must take my chances with slaving the DAW, and yes that's for recording as well. We'll see how it goes... thanks all for the worlds of information. Cheers

Back