Best Way To Store Tape Loops?

"Mr. Tape Loop" to the rescue

Hey Ed,

Are you wanting to store them for the long term or just for a few hours?

When I'm using multiple loops in a session, I'll label them with a piece of masking tape and hang them on a boom mic stand.

For the longer term, maybe labeling them and placing them in a reel box might work.

Long term is what I was looking for. I will try a large reel box and see how that works. I finaly took your advice and hooked up the Otari 5050B111 for tape echo and it works fine. Thanks for the info. Take er easy.

Long term tape storage;

- Tail out, library wind, (spool mode) or play the tape to the end in one continuous play.
- Tape stored in sealed bag inside of tape box
- Stored on edge like you would a set of books
- Stored away from excessive temp and humidity extremes, vibration, dust and magnetic fields
- Label the tapes so you know what's on them including info such as speed, NR, dates, track sheets and the machine model it was recorded on.

Cheers! :)

Alternative storage method:

-Take 'em out of, or off, whatever they are in or on- reel, plastic box, whatever.
-Having already laid in a store of large IRON NAILS, which you have been sure to moleculary align with a very strong magnet, and pounded into an exterior wall several months or year earlier, carefully hang the loop over said nail.
-Pull the tape loop along the nail, making sure the entire loop passes over the nail at least twice...

:D

Long term tape storage;
- Tail out, library wind, (spool mode) or play the tape to the end in one continuous play.

It's a tape loop...

With the Money tape loop, they seemed to store that in a tape box. For mine, for want of a better idea I have tended to keep them on the back of my bedroom door, looped over the coat peg. A box is probably a better idea, though.

EDIT:
One thing I forgot to mention is that I also write a description of my loops on the splicing tape...

Last edited:
It's a tape loop...

With the Money tape loop, they seemed to store that in a tape box. For mine, for want of a better idea I have tended to keep them on the back of my bedroom door, looped over the coat peg. A box is probably a better idea, though.

EDIT:
One thing I forgot to mention is that I also write a description of my loops on the splicing tape...
Ah!

My apologies!

I didn't see the word "loop" in my brain when I wrote out my response.

So yeah, just store it in a tape box to stop it from being crushed and creased, leaving the loop intact like it would inside a Space Echo unit, loosely curled into itself.
All the other points I made could still apply, apart from the tail out spooling stuff.

Cheers! :)

It's all good Jeff. I'll be using a tape loop on a song the band will be recording soon. I'm going to have my drums looped, then cymbals reversed, and the lead vocals will be injected with tape echo. If this comes off like i hear it in my head it will turnout cool. I might post it when I get that part done.

Back