Best Place To Get 1/4 Inch Reels For Low $$

Hello, I just got a 1/4 inch reel-to-reel 8 track recorder. What is the best place to get tapes for lowest $$$$? I will also want cheap tapes for low $$$$ for quick sketching ideas and demo. I remember Apex being the best (?) and now they are gone but Quantegy bought them out (?)... Do I have this right? Anyhow, where do I get cheapest price on quality tapes and not so quality? What tape number should I get?
THANKS!!

If we are talking about the Fostex A-8 here, Ampex/Quantegy 456 would be your best choice for your serious productions and Ampex/Quantegy 457 or 407 would be fine for your slightly less serious projects.

Quantegy took over the reins at Ampex back in the late 90s but remained in the same factory, making identical products to what was in the Ampex catalog at that time. It's really just a name change more then anything else. It's also a way of discerning older stock from newer stock too and if your buying second hand tape for goofing around with, beware of Ampex tape made from 1995 or older as it will likely need to be baked in a dehydration oven for an hour or two to dry back the binder glue that holds the oxide layer to the base layer of the tape. Otherwise, you will gum up your heads with a very sticky messy goo also known as SSS or Sticky Shed Syndrome! :eek:

Read more on this topic here;

http://www.vaporpark.com/invboard/index.php?act=ST&f=12&t=310&

Cheers! :)

I know where to get good NOS and used reels. What reel size? 10.5 or 7? 1/4 inch right? email me

Do you sell on eBay? What is your ID?

Never buy used tape... and never sell it either! And never buy (or attempt to buy) any tape NOS or other from a new member who shows up just to hock their wares.

Ha, well that was almost 8 years ago man... I've moved on to bigger/better since then ;-) But thanks!

I don't understand. Your original post was 12-13-2004, and Ghost's reply was on the same day. But then you show up 8 years ago to say "I've moved on, but thanks man!"

I don't get it. :confused:

I don't understand. Your original post was 12-13-2004, and Ghost's reply was on the same day. But then you show up 8 years ago to say "I've moved on, but thanks man!"

I don't get it. :confused:

There was a new user who spammed a couple of old threads with offers of tape, looks like those posts have been 'mined', or whatever it's called on this board, hence the discontinuity.

I have to admit, they did look a little iffy. Either that or the user was kind of naive. It was something like "I know where to get some tape", it didn't even say where. There was something about them which disturbed me slightly.

There was a new user who spammed a couple of old threads with offers of tape, looks like those posts have been 'mined', or whatever it's called on this board, hence the discontinuity.

I have to admit, they did look a little iffy. Either that or the user was kind of naive. It was something like "I know where to get some tape", it didn't even say where. There was something about them which disturbed me slightly.

Oh ok, got it.

Back