best place to buy tape

junkyardearl

I was wondering if any of you had suggestions about where to get 1/2" tape on a 10.5" reel. Who's cheap & reliable?

~james

I normally buy my analog tape from Sweetwater (www.sweetwater.com). You can get it from musician's friend, but their customer service SUCKS. With sweetwater you'll talk to someone that knows what the hell they're talkin' about.

TapeTape

I've always gotten my reels from TAPETAPE.COM -- very reliable service, and both new and used tape is available. I know some thing it's heresy, but you can use one-pass tape for half the price of new and get fantastic results. I have also seen Radio Shack carrying reel-to-reel tape (I think it was 1/2"), but that was maybe three years ago and I haven't seen it since. You might want to inquire.

It was Quantegy. And I assumed sealed, unless they open it in order to make it filthy. Most Radio Shack employees in this area haven't the dexterity (mental nor physical) to operate boxes, however.

I'm serious.

http://www.blankmedia.com/

BY THE WAY.................

Do not use any reel tape unless it is new when you get it!!!

I own Two Otari decks, one is an 8 the other is a half track, I have been strongly warned by Otari, a local service shop & a recording book I recently read that used old tape can destroy your heads.

I was also told that if I want to have a tape to use over and over again... start out with a brand new fresh one.

Good Luck.

[Edited by smellyfuzz on 01-12-2001 at 19:02]

Back