BASF LPR 35 1/2" tape - any info??

_DK

Has anyone used BASF/EMTEC LPR 35 1/2" tape? Does it have the sticky shed problem? How bad is it, that it's 3600ft long?

BASF LPR 35 is a 1mil version of BASF 911. It's a +6 tape.

From what I understand, when BASF bought AGFA, it fixed certain quality issues. BASF then become EMTEC and now it is RMGI.

BASF/EMTEC/RMGI LPR 35 is safe to use. No sticky shed.

It's not bad that it's on a thinner base but it could be a problem if your machine was originally setup for 1.5 mil. In that case, you will want to recalibrate the tension.

Reactions: _DK
Be careful... there are a couple vendors out there that are selling a so-called "special run" of LPR35, but it’s actually a 1-mil version of SM900 rather than SM911. You don't want that on a machine calibrated to be bias compatible with 456.

Tape Works Texas and an eBay seller called TapeandTape have this custom stuff on 1/2".

If you are looking for authentic LPR35 you'll be safest with the BASF or RMGI brand, but not EMTEC/BASF.

LPR35 was never an AGFA tape. It was originally introduced by BASF. AGFA and BASF were once competitors. When AGFA left the tape business BASF absorbed their product. So some BASF/EMTEC/RMGI models go back to AGFA and some don’t.

Real LPR35 is in the same league as Quantegy 457, and would work well on machines using 457 or similar 1-mil tape.

SM911 is like 456
LPR35 is like 457

:)

Beck said:
Be careful... there are a couple vendors out there that are selling a so-called "special run" of LPR35, but it’s actually a 1-mil version of SM900 rather than SM911. You don't want that on a machine calibrated to be bias compatible with 456.
:)

I think we're speaking of the same person here. That's why I was concerned with this "special run".
I'm looking at this web site here: http://tapetape.com/allproducts.cfm?cust_id=9C9&catid=2&view=all
and having some doubts about buying the 3M tape because of its sticky shed reputation. Not sure about Ampex 468 1/2". I've got my 38 calibrated for 456. What do you say?

_DK said:
I think we're speaking of the same person here. That's why I was concerned with this "special run".
I'm looking at this web site here: http://tapetape.com/allproducts.cfm?cust_id=9C9&catid=2&view=all
and having some doubts about buying the 3M tape because of its sticky shed reputation. Not sure about Ampex 468 1/2". I've got my 38 calibrated for 456. What do you say?

I would definitely look for another source. I don’t trust his “One-pass” tape. I’m afraid it’s been recycled too many times and frankly I’ve had bad experience with him in the past. 3M hasn’t made any tape since 1996, so I don’t know how much one-pass there can really be. And yes some 226 and 227 will have sticky-shed. I’m sorry I can’t recommend tapetape anymore because he’s been around a while, but I hate to steer someone wrong even more.

BASF/EMTEC or RMGI 468 is great. I have 468 from AGFA to RMGI and it’s all good. You can get new EMTEC 468 from http://www.tapeworkstexas.com for less. 911 is also a great alternative to 456. And then there’s always 456. ;)

Beck said:
I would definitely look for another source. I don’t trust his “One-pass” tape. I’m afraid it’s been recycled too many times and frankly I’ve had bad experience with him in the past. 3M hasn’t made any tape since 1996, so I don’t know how much one-pass there can really be. And yes some 226 and 227 will have sticky-shed. I’m sorry I can’t recommend tapetape anymore because he’s been around a while, but I hate to steer someone wrong even more.

BASF/EMTEC or RMGI 468 is great. I have 468 from AGFA to RMGI and it’s all good. You can get new EMTEC 468 from http://www.tapeworkstexas.com for less. 911 is also a great alternative to 456. And then there’s always 456. ;)

Thanks! But what about Ampex 468? Is there such a thing? That's what he has listed on that site.

_DK said:
Thanks! But what about Ampex 468? Is there such a thing? That's what he has listed on that site.

No, there is no AMPEX or Quantegy 468. I thought that was a typo on your part so I didn't address it.

There is 467, which is digital tape and 408, which is a Quantegy product based on a 3M formulation, but similar to 406. Quantegy also bought 3M magnetics in the 90's. 408 was never made by Ampex in California.

The only Ampex/Quantegy tape that is like 456 is 457, which is a thinner and longer playing version.

468 was originally an Agfa-Gevaert product from Germany... then BASF, EMTEC and now RMGI in the Netherlands.

The tapetape.com site is really screwed up and it has been for a few years. His webmaster quit and he doesn't know how to fix it. Nothing on that site makes any sense and some of it isn’t even available anymore.

_DK said:
BASF SM 468 is out of stock at http://www.tapeworkstexas.com :( But what a great price it was...so, no wonder :) I'll keep looking for it!

It was a good price, but I bought a case of 468 from TWT before the 2005 tape scare for $18.00 a reel. :eek:

As soon as Quantegy closed their doors he raised the price. ;) Too bad it's all gone now. There is more out there, often on eBay, and of course RMGI is making new 468 as we speak. I take it you're looking for a good deal on tape rather than being unhappy with 456... ?

Beck said:
It was a good price, but I bought a case of 468 from TWT before the 2005 tape scare for $18.00 a reel. :eek:

As soon as Quantegy closed their doors he raised the price. ;) Too bad it's all gone now. There is more out there, often on eBay, and of course RMGI is making new 468 as we speak. I take it you're looking for a good deal on tape rather than being unhappy with 456... ?

Correct! If someone was selling 456 1/2" for cheap, I'd buy it. But I've had very good expericience with SM468 and I've noticed it being less popular than 456, so I'm looking for it too. I'm looking at buying so much other stuff for my studio, so I have to save on some of the stuff (all of the stuff, I should say) :)

_DK said:
Correct! If someone was selling 456 1/2" for cheap, I'd buy it.

Why don't you order some new 1/2" Quantegy 406 directly from the company ? It's only $30 / tape now. You will need to recalibrate your deck and do you really need the extra operating level ? If you stay around 0db or below then 456 and 406 sound identical. The 406 does sound better, to me at least, when pushed harder.

cjacek said:
Why don't you order some new 1/2" Quantegy 406 directly from the company ? It's only $30 / tape now. You will need to recalibrate your deck and do you really need the extra operating level ? If you stay around 0db or below then 456 and 406 sound identical. The 406 does sound better, to me at least, when pushed harder.

Yes, that's my top priority right now, as I've only found out about that sale today. Thanks!

Anyone know how many 1/2" 406 tapes are in a factory box and if they ship like that or double box ? Anyone have experience with receiveing tape from Quantegy ? How damage resistant are those things when shipped, especially when ordering several tapes ?

Yep, I'm with Daniel on 406. I have a few reels of it around as well, and use its 1-mil brother, 407 for mastering.

If you have your machine calibrated for 456 the bias for 406 is the same, and you really only have to set the playback level because 250 nWb/m for 406 is just peachy... just keep things at or below 0 VU unless you want a little more fuzz (and you might for some things). If your machine has NR, either DBX or Dolby you won't even notice any extra noise. Even without NR at 15 ips there isn’t a huge difference anyway.

cjacek said:
Anyone know how many 1/2" 406 tapes are in a factory box and if they ship like that or double box ? Anyone have experience with receiveing tape from Quantegy ? How damage resistant are those things when shipped, especially when ordering several tapes ?

7 to a case... They ship in a single box with no padding, but never any problems with damaged tape.

Beck said:
7 to a case... They ship in a single box with no padding, but never any problems with damaged tape.

Thanks! I've bought a couple of the 1/2" 406's locally and they were very expensive. When I saw the price on the Quantegy site I thought I'd order direct. That's pretty cheap for 1/2" tape. With my streak of receiveing damaged items through the mail, I'm rather paranoid so I hope my tape comes intact! :eek: :D ;)

cjacek said:
Thanks! I've bought a couple of the 1/2" 406's locally and they were very expensive. When I saw the price on the Quantegy site I thought I'd order direct. That's pretty cheap for 1/2" tape. With my streak of receiveing damaged items through the mail, I'm rather paranoid so I hope my tape comes intact! :eek: :D ;)

It defies all packing convention, but for some reason reels and their individual boxes fair very well in the thin cardboard cases. But then you have Canada Post to worry about... hehe. :eek: :)

Beck said:
It defies all packing convention, but for some reason reels and their individual boxes fair very well in the thin cardboard cases. But then you have Canada Post to worry about... hehe. :eek: :)

Hehe.. very true! :eek: :D

Beck said:
and you really only have to set the playback level because 250 nWb/m for 406 is just peachy...

Tim, just a related question. I've been meaning to get a proper, non-conductive (ie: plastic) alignment tool but failing to find one, I've been using a home made one with mixed results. Anyway, those trim pots have long, rather narrow slits and I was wondering where is a good source to get a proper tool for this ? Thanks! :)

cjacek said:
Tim, just a related question. I've been meaning to get a proper, non-conductive (ie: plastic) alignment tool but failing to find one, I've been using a home made one with mixed results. Anyway, those trim pots have long, rather narrow slits and I was wondering where is a good source to get a proper tool for this ? Thanks! :)

Are all your Radio Shack stores closed up there now? Do you still have one or a similar store nearby?

I couldn’t get into radioshack.ca but here’s what you need from radioshack.com.

Model: 64-2230
3-Piece Anti-Static Set

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&cp=2032058.2032236.2032309&parentPage=family

If worse comes to worse I can pick up a set and send it to you as a gift… if RadioShack US doesn’t ship to Canada. :)

Back