Bad motor in 388

batterista

The "right" motor seems to work fine (play, record, fast forward) but the "left" one grinds to a halt after a split second, and I have to manually rewind. Anyone know how difficult it is to change this out? I can't spend another couple hundred to have it repaired. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but when I focus, I can do some crazy stuff.

Also, I got a couple new RGMI LPR 35 1/4" tape on 7" reels. The reels seem fine except for one seems to have a crimp all the way through... every second or so while in play mode, the bottom half of the tape leaves the head. Is this sticky shed? A common defect? I guess I need to return that one.

Recording this weekend... even if I have to manually rewind that damn thing!

When you say grinds, do you means it literarally makes noise?

It may be a servo adjustment issue. The two tape tension arms ( the movable arms on either side of the headblock) should be positioned in about the center of their travel. If the LEFT arm is too high (too close to the supply reel), it will shutdown the left motor. Try pulling the left tension arm down (toward the control panel) and see if teh left motor then runs. If this does it, there is a simple adjustment that will get you going.

Thanks. No, I dindn't mean for "grind" to be taken literally... it doesn't make a noise, it just seems like it wants to start rewinding and then stops... like it's not strong enough to get the job done. I'm using the right tape (1 mil, 1800', 7" reels).

I'll look to see what the tension arm is doing.

Sounds Like.....

Sounds like you might have this figured out already (due to the fact that this question was a few days ago and since you've inquired about using 406 tape) but if not........ mine was doing the same thing when I first got it (2 months ago). My 388 is in overall excellent condition and I was confused as to why it would've been a bad motor. Turns out, the servo adjustment was off (Thank you Dave "the Animal" Reel) You take the top panel off and you can get to it this way. Use a super small flat head screwdriver and if you have the manual, follow the directions on page 1.9 (IF YOU DON'T HAVE A 388 MANUAL YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT FOR FREE AT: marjorie-plastille.com )
As the manual states, you should use a test tape for a technically accurate adjustment, but I just adjusted mine "till it felt right" and it seems fine now. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
A.A.:)

Thanks Aaron... I'll conduct the operation this weekend! BTW, my first round of recording on the 388 (and my first time engineering/home recording) went very well. I'm amazed at the sound of the 388 and the fullness and depth of the drum tracks I got.

As soon as I figure out how to post up an mp3 online (not on myspace, etc.), I'll do so to see what y'all think.

Back