Audio cables for patchbay?

Theo K

So I'm finally putting a proper patchbay together... no more crawling around behind the rack! I was originally planning on buying bulk cable stock and connectors and making all of the cables myself, but it looks like buying molded cables in bulk might actually be cheaper. My longest runs from the gear to the patchbay will be about 5', so I'm not too concerned about degradation... is there any reason why something like this http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=54110 would be a bad idea? According to my calculations, it'll cost about 400 dollars in raw materials to make all of the 1/4" TS cables I need, whereas 100 of these pre-made comes to about $350... I know molded cables are impossible to fix when they break, but I can just chop off the end and solder on another plug if that happens. Am I missing something here?

I have some of those cables and they are well-made and well-shielded. I have made a ton of snakes and TRS-TRS patch cables because I'm picky but I wouldn't have a problem using the Hosa ones you linked. Should serve you well. My 2p.

Not sure where you are located, but I get my bulk supplies generally from Redco...good prices.

Back