Aries 24X8X16 console?

ROBOTQUALITYREC

I have a guy trying to sell me this console: http://www.ariesaudio.com/aries16.html , its the 24 track version (small picture at the top of the site) the website looks a little funky but its from the 90's so be nice. i have never heard of these consoles before. it looks good enough to me. i have pictures of the one for sale and its almost mint. hes only asking 400ish for it so i might go for it. ill be using it with a 16 track reel to reel. any advise? one thing i really wanted was a flip(phase) switch on each channel. i guess this one doesnt have any. anyone know if theres an easy mod you can do to make one yourself? i have a joemeek twinQ with 2 phase switches...i need more.
THANKS!

400 is a reasonable price for a 24 channel mixer. Smaller Tascams go for that. Personally, I wouldn't buy it without listinging to it, at least. Since it's an unknown brand, it can be shite, or it can be da bomb...

I didn’t know Aries was still around. I remember their 16 and 24 channel consoles made in 1988/89. They were nice products. The 24-channel version listed for over $7000.00 back then.

The consoles were made in the UK and Imported by a Canadian company based in Torrance that kept changing its name – first Creative Marketing Group, then Aries America, and finally C-Level Distribution Group.

I would snatch one up at $400.00 for sure.

:cool:

wow, its cool that someone actually knows aries. he quoted me 180 in addition for shipping...seems way too much. i'll have to see if i can scheme something with my jobs shipping department. i guess ill go for it tho. that x-mas bonus gets you in that spending mood...

INSERTS!

I realized this console doesnt have direct outs, only inserts. gross. but i read that the inserts are POST eq [*phew*] so all im losing is fader information. now im recording onto a reel to reel. my goal is to get drums & bass on there, then get a good mix with just the right eq and dump it into my computer. if i think right, using the direct outs into the computer once the mix is good, all i will lose is the fader information. then i can copy the fader settings i have on the console, into the program im using. and all is the same? yes? no?

Aries Mixer

I have one of these Aries 16 Recording consoles. It is a 24 input with 16 monitoring and 8 groups. It is correct that this console does not have direct outs. Mine has been modified to have direct outs on the last 8 channels, post eq and fader. The only issue I have had is the resistance on each output is so low, that I had to install isolation transformers. This is because it was freaking my Layla Echo out if more than 3 channels were plugged up. It would glitch the Layla and would start emmiting pink noise. Sounds weird but the transformers did the trick. I am currently looking for another Aries 16 to use as parts.
Terry
Austin, TX

Back