Anyone selling an Open Reel to Reel?

Blackdog.sn

Hey,
I was looking around ebay, but i found alot of ppl posting multitrack reel to reels dont give alot of info. Is anyone here wanting to sell a 4 or 8 track reel to reel machine?

Im in the Toronto, Canada area, but i could prolly cover shipping either way.

Thanks

I live in Toronto but I don't think you would want to pay me what I want for my mint, low mileage TASCAM 38 with dbx and remote. :(

Then again, perhaps you're an affluent man and money is no object? :D

Cheers! :)

well if by affluent man you actually mean, teenager with limited fundage, then yea! :D

Well im scared to ask if the price is over $500 :( But since you live in Toronto, can you tell me where about you got the reel, or if you know of any good used audio shops....

Thanks

Blackdog.sn said:
well if by affluent man you actually mean, teenager with limited fundage, then yea! :D

Well im scared to ask if the price is over $500 :( But since you live in Toronto, can you tell me where about you got the reel, or if you know of any good used audio shops....

Thanks
No, he means this:
From the webster dictionary:

"having a generously sufficient and typically increasing supply of material possessions"

Sorry I can't help with the reel to reel....

And I could see you were being sarcastic:
"well if by affluent man you actually mean, teenager with limited fundage, then yea!"
I was just being a smart-ass :o

Blackdog.sn said:

Thanks
I guess mine won't be for sale and leave it at that. :cool:

As for where I got mine, I picked it up a few years back in 1994 off of a guy who bought it new to record his garage band and then it sat in his closet for a few years and his parents sold it because he moved away from home and didn't appear to be coming back and needed the cash for school or something?

Anyway, I spotted the unit for sale in the Buy&Sell newspaper that comes out each Friday and paid $1500.00 bucks for it which at the time seemed like a deal as this was the going rate for them back then and to get it with the 2 DX-4D units and the remote was an extra bonus as the original retail on this stuff at Long&McQuade was close to five gees and as I said, it was a mint, low mileage unit and for the most part, minus the 2 albums worth of stuff I tracked on it, it still is a very rare find because of its showroom condition.

Sorry to get your hopes up. I guess in reality, even if you had the coin, I don't really want to sell it. :o

Why not try looking for a 388? I know you probably mean $500 Canadian, and I don't know what the exchange rate is, but you could get a Tascam 388, which has the mixing board and recorder for around $400 American, give or take a little.

-MD

Blackdog.sn said:
Hey,
I was looking around ebay, but i found alot of ppl posting multitrack reel to reels dont give alot of info. Is anyone here wanting to sell a 4 or 8 track reel to reel machine?

Im in the Toronto, Canada area, but i could prolly cover shipping either way.

Thanks

Oh and as for places to look, the Buy&Sell paper is still around as is ebay and a few of the usual retailers like L&M and Steve's or there is a great place for analog gear in Markham called Tele-Tech on Telson Road. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and they had a loaded TASCAM 58 but they wanted serious coin for it as they are a store and need to make a profit to keep the lights on.

http://www.tele-tech.ca/

themaddog said:
I know you probably mean $500 Canadian, and I don't know what the exchange rate is

It seems to mean that you almost have to double American $ to get the Canadian amount.

Ive seen the 388 around, but i was really hoping for an open reel to reel. Ill check the stuff you guys suggested.

Thanks again :D

Well, your question is not specific.

The Fostex X-26 uses a Type II cassette.

The Tascam 388 uses a 7" reel of 1/4" tape, Quantegy 456/457 or equivalents. ;)
(Hint: the 388 has reel-to-reel drive in the bed, under the plexiglass cover).

ohhhh, so you get the open reel to reel kinda sound outa the 388 then? Is there alot of tape noise? I'm starting to like the 388. But does anyone know where i could find one?

The 388 is a open reel machine. It is just attached to a great mixer. Its a very nice set up.

Uh, yeah.

By your previous post, it was clear you didn't understand the 388 is an open reel machine.

The sound is quite good,... no tape hiss,... and the best integrated mixer in the industry. Yeah, it gets the open reel kinna sound. You find them on Ebay, bidding in the $300~$500 range.

;)

Yeah you guys caught me, im a noob. The 388 looks cool now though.

Im kinda excited about finding a 388 now.....but ive had no luck on Ebay.

Back