Anyone own a FOSTEX G16 ?

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
OK, first off, I have enough machine already but, sadly, GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) has slowly crept it <Dave, are you listening?:D> ... and I have a chance to local pickup a G16. :eek:

While I generally stray from FOSTEX, the G series, from what I read, was a completely different breed vs the budget units out-there.

Here's what I know [and DO correct me If I'm wrong]: The G16 came stock with S noise reduction; it was made in the early 90's; it retailed for USD 9000 [that's like maybe around 15K in todays money]; it had superior electronics and; it was stated that FOSTEX had finally 'got it right'.

Now, I realize the 'parts' issue but this one I'm looking over today was bought new, used only for a project or two and mostly sat unused in a rack, in a audio / video company. I saw the photos and also talked to a guy who told me the story of the deck's history. He mentioned it was 'never really used'.

Now, he wants $400. Yes, only 400 bones. Am I daft, or, fostex or not, is this a bloody good deal or not? Yeah 16 tracks on 1/2" and no dedicated playback head but still... What say you?

OK, obviously, I need to look over and test the unit so it may not pan out 'cause I only spring for really mint, low use machines but it's probable that this one may indeed be it.

What are your thoughts guys and I'd like to also get some opinions from those who actually have the G16.

Thank in advance!:)

--

Dan I had a E16 yes I know you said g16. And the E only had dolby c.
But If its in nice shape and runs well 400 is a big bargain specialy with it in town.
I think most of the boys here would drive over and kick your butt for not snatching that one up.
Its a crap mix but I will try to post a song I did of my stepsons band a little later if I get a chance

GET IT!!!

If the heads are good and nothing major wrong with it, of course. :)

I would not buy it.

If it works 100% & is clean, $400 would be a really keen deal, though!:eek:;)

The next big piece of gear I'd ever consider buying would have to be pretty big, 'cause I'd be living in it!

If I ever had GAS, (heh), it has run it's full course!:eek::eek:;)

I have a G16

I own a G16. I can only report my experinnces but mine has been flawless. Bought it new about 91 or 92 from Lentines in akron after a bad experience with a Tascam MSR 16. The tascam had some sort of NR issues and tascam refused to do anything although it was under warranty. Just to clear up all the information I own the dolby c version. There is also a dolby s version that cost about 1,000 dollars more. It supposedly sounded better than the c version but Ive heard them both and could not difinitively tell a difference. I have heard the dolby s chip problem but having the dolby c version I cant comment. I have seen posts by tascam owners with dolby s comlaining about the NR chips. The G16 stock has an amazing array of features that far outstrip the MSR 16 and I can speak because Ive owned both. There are so many location options its dizzying. Sometimes making the G16 seem rather complicated. When you get used to it though its All Good. Soudwise although slightly noisier than Tascams with DBX the G16 has a more natural sweeter sound that does not alter the music as much. Sort of like the differenc between listening to a tape and listerning to a live band. Although if the ultimate in SN is your desire the Tascams with DBX are quieter. I play jazz so natural sound is more important to me though so I prefer the Fostex recorders. My G16 is probably my most treasured piece of equipment. It still sounds as good today as the day I bought it. I have recorded five jazz records and Cds on it a couple of low budget movie scores and a few assorted demos for some assosciates. All without a failure of any kind. I dont think Fostex transports were made fo 24/7 commercial use. But they last forever in home project studios. If cared for a G16 life can be very long. I have seen posts by others on forums that seem to know more than I do but never saw anyone who has owned one as long as I have. Longevity counts for something ha ha. If your has midi ports on the back it has the 8330 sync card and you have even more option like syncchase to you computer. I to would liike to meet some B,E, or G 16 users. I think we should have our own forum. Ive found that on most forums we are admonished as amatures playing with half inch 16 track little toys. Thes machines dont sound like 2 inch machines but mixed with my sequenced ASR 10. I get some results that are pretty damn amazing. Contact me anytime. underboss1@juno.com

Thanks very much to all for the replies. Much appreciated, as always!!:)

... sorry for the late reply but the viewing on Friday, just a few hours after posing this, did not happen. The seller, for the lack of a better term, stood me up. I drove in massive traffic and a usual 30 minute drive turned into a 60 minute horror show. :eek: I was 8 minutes late off of the hour that we were supposed to meet. I was really upset 'cause I took a good chunk out of my day and spent hours on the road with nothing to show for it.

I left the seller a message [tried to keep calm] and received a reply just today. As it turns out, the guy thought that I'd not show up and just left. When I told him I'd never stand somebody up like that, he mentioned something to the effect that "I'm one of a very few" who wouldn't. Man, what a world that we live in...

Anyway, to cut the story short, I'm finally and properly viewing the machine tomorrow morning. I will indeed check all functions and of course the heads etc... and will post an update with photos, if I actually walk away with the machine.:)

QUESTION: This particular G16 doesn't have the "S" letter at the end of the model number or anywhere else on the sticker. Also, comparing the "Watts" that I see on that sticker [140W] flies in contrast to the online fostex manual [for the "G16S"], which is 170W. Does that mean it's the stock, NON "S" dolby version that I'm looking at?

BTW: I'm currently giving green chicklets to everyone, as long as the system allows me. If some of you don't get any from me, it only means I gave you in the past and, again, the system won't allow me, till I get more rep points myself. Sorry and thanks again!!!

---

Man, I just noticed that the G series doesn't use a pinch roller. I guess all it uses is the tension from reel to reel? That's pretty cool. :cool:

Actually, strike that. It appears that the pinch roller comes down from the top [below the head cover] so that it rides on the oxide side, rather than the backing.

--

The regular G16 is Dolby C just like the E16, which is probably a good thing as far as service issues. :)

Sorry for the oversized text. Im old and was trying to get text I could read. Yes if the G16 doesnt say S then its the same model I have with dolby C. In my estimation just as good. Ive heard both verrsions and could not tell any difference. Good luck with your purchase.

An update....

OK, so I drove to the seller's business and met him at 10am sharp [had to take some time off work].

The recorder was in a tall vertical rack with a shit load of RCA cables sticking out of the back and a matching 820 mixer was several feet away. Good, I though. I now would be able to fully check all of the functions and actually have something recorded and played back, on all 16 channels if so I chose. Well, that was my assumption anyway.... It turns out the recorder / mixer were not connected and, judging from the setup, it would take a good chunk of my time to get it all hooked up, if even possible, judging from the chaotic cable runs in and inside the large desk-space.

OK, so I confront the seller that he should have had it connected for testing, as this was assumed, based on the photos and talk over the phone and emails. He asked me why I didn't bring equipment for testing when I knew that I was coming to see the recorder. That took me aback and I didn't comment too much, cause what do you reply with when someone asks you a moronic question? He was clueless.:rolleyes:

I tested the recorder's basic functions, viewed its condition and played back a couple of the channels through the speakers of a CRT television [yeah, that was my monitoring there:rolleyes:].

I was already at 30 minutes when I told him that I don't have the time to test further as it demands proper setting up.

To cut the story short, I didn't buy it.

Yeah, the G16 was in near mint, low use condition, a few scratches, dust etc.. but there was no way I could have given him $400 without testing more thoroughly.

OK, so I was basically stood up the first time and then came out again, only to be told that I should have brought my gear with me to test, when the guy should have had it setup in the first place. :rolleyes:

I also took note of a possible problem with the capstan motor. Something just didn't look right but I was unsure if there was something wrong or not.

In any case, I took this as a tough lesson, as I probably should have left it alone and not buy any more gear. I have enough already and I just don't need the headaches. Now I know...

Guys, thanks so much for replying and I feel so bad for not treating you to some nice photos of my latest acquisition but I hope that you understand. I hope that I didn't waste your time on this one.. :o

--

Sometimes it's the best thing to walk away Daniel when that gut-feeling start coming on.:)
Don't worry, you find more treasures in the future.
Gimme some more of those green chicklets:p

Hi there,

New to the list from today

I want a digital back up of a recording I did 10 years ago with probably an Fostex E16 on an Ampex 456 tape.

I wonder if any of you are prepared to do this job, a quotation and where are you based would be appreciated. I am in Osaka, Japan but travel a lot to Europe and could also consider doing this by post.

There is one hour in 3 tracks with takes in other 10 tracks I believe.

tony@tonysalinas.com

Sincerely,

Tony Salinas
tony@tonysalinas.com

Back