Anyone Know What the Reel Tension should measure on the TASCAM 38?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beck

I'm interested if anyone has the manual and can tell me what the back tension on the supply (left) reel and forward tension on the take-up (right) reel should be using a spring scale in reporduce mode.

Thanks
:)

It'll take too long to ship :)
I'm sitting and thinking here why can't I just Ctrl+F it

Well it was worth a try, but not there. Thanks anyway, MCI. :)

Last edited:
_DK said:
It'll take too long to ship :)
I'm sitting and thinking here why can't I just Ctrl+F it

It will be in the calibration section, probably near capstan tension adjust and such. It should be written as part of the procedure for adjusting back tension rather than in a list of specs... if that helps. :)

It's 8 in the morning here, why do you need it anyway? :D
It's not the flux level, is it?

_DK said:
It's 8 in the morning here, why do you need it anyway? :D
It's not the flux level, is it?

:D

It's 7:00 in the morning here.

Just wild guessing, but I’m thinking it’s not much before or much after page 61 in the maintenance section. You'll probably see a picture of spring scales wrapped around a hub and the measurements will be in grams… something like (300 +/- 40 g-cm). But I don’t need it right this minute… just hoping someone will happen along sooner or later and know the answer. I won't be working on it until later tonight. :)

Ok, finally!

Take-up:
900 to 1100 g-cm (12.5 - 15.3 oz-inch)

Back:
650 to 700 g-cm (9.0 - 10.5 oz-inch)

_DK said:
Ok, finally!

Take-up:

Back:

Great! Does it say that's for reproduce (playback) or rewind/fast forward, or brake tension? :confused:

Beck said:
Great! Does it say that's for reproduce (playback) or rewind/fast forward, or brake tension? :confused:

There's a 2.5 section talking about the Brake Torque - do you need these values? The ones I gave you are from 2.6.1 is on Take-up torque and 2.6.2 - Back Tension

Brake Torque:

Forward tension: 2300-2700 g-cm (31.9-37.5 oz-inch)
Reverse direction: 900 - 1000 g-cm (12.5-13.9 oz-inch)

No, I was just looking for the take-up and back torque during playback... that's all I need.

2.6 Reel motor torque

It should have values for play mode and fast winding mode.

This is reproduce mode:

Take-up torque:

Back tension:

Thanks a bunch... that's what I needed. I owe you one. :)

You need a spring scale. I have a link somehwere for some good but cheap ones. I'll look it up and post it sometime today... when I find it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back