Anyone have a tape machine with autopunch?

jake-owa

Banned
Can you tell me how it works on your remote? I have an ATR-60 with the AQ65C remote which supposedly can do this I just don't know how to set the punch points.

:cool:

" Can you tell me how it works on your remote? "

I use the Fostex E-16 w/ 4050 auto-locate.
MIne is based on timecode, so I stripe T/C on trk 16, then set the P/I's and P/O's on the A/locate by programming it in by hand. Thereis a section on the keybaord for this. you have to know exactly where you want to put the punch points, then manualy enter them in on the programming part on A/locate. its an older one and a bit on the crude side of life. its areal pain to do, and I have to go through the rehearsal mode to check and see if it going to work. If ther is one tiny little break whatsoever in the T/C stripe, it will throw it off completely and not work, I find its a lot easier to do it myself than using the auto feature.

This is how mine works.

da MUTT

Umm...I know how to use the autolocator for locating points...

I'm wondering how to use autopunch so I don't have to hit record with my toe to punch in.

I think muttly is right, you may need to hook SMPTE in there somehow. I may have the AQ65C manual at home, I'll try and remember to check tonight.

Kevin.

:cool: ON the 4050 there is a programming mode you have to enter into, then enter your P/I's-P/O's for the auto punch's.
but you do sacrifice one track on the tape to SMPTE time code so the A/locate "knows" when to punch in for you.

" I know how to use the autolocator for locating points..."
Then enter some kind of programming mode thats particular to your autolocater.
I trust also you stipe timecode when you use your machine.
On mine you also have to have the trk armed ahead of time for this to work.

da MUTT

Sorry, the manual I have is for the AQ65 stand... why there is manual for it I don't know, it came in a bundle with my deck and has a picture of the AQ65 on the stand on the cover. I have always thought it went with the locator... silly me.

So...

FOR SALE: AQ65C stand manual. Hardly ever opened, like new. Price: $1600 firm. Includes the stand itself as I don't use it :)

lol
Kevin.

:cool: Jake I had a brain fart, Does your auto-locate have the ability to generate/read SMPTE ?
A lot of them don't, I might be trying to get you to do something that you may not be able to do.....

da MUTT

I know nothing of SMPTE...nor do I want to.

Besides, I don't see how SMPTE will give me the ability to set a punch in point for recording...the machine knows where it's at on the tape...somehow.

I get that a stripe will give absolute time right on the tape with no shift but why wouldn't it be possible without the stripe? I don't need microsecond accuracy. Am I missing something?

I really don't think this remote will do this anyhow. I will just get better at my own drum parts I guess.

jake-owa said:
I get that a stripe will give absolute time right on the tape with no shift but why wouldn't it be possible without the stripe?

Because the positioning otherwise depends on how the wheel turns, not where the tape is.

I don't need microsecond accuracy.

I think an autopunch SHOLD be able to use both SMPTE and normal tape counters, but that doesn't mean that they actually CAN. :)

I get that a stripe will give absolute time right on the tape with no shift but why wouldn't it be possible without the stripe? I don't need microsecond accuracy. Am I missing something?

Are you running at 15 or 30 ips? A lot of tape moves across the heads in the 1 second of acccuracy your locator has.

Kevin.

I use 15 IPS for the extended bass frequency response in my machine.

Muttley, I didn't mean to sound obtuse but I don't need to synch anything and I would never give up a track of tape for anything so...

Anyway, like I said, I don't think my autolocator will even do autopunch. I originally thought a pro peice of equiptment must have to have it but I may have been overly optomistic there.

:cool: On my autolocate you have to use smpte in order for it to do it. When Fostex designed this piece, it was all based on smpte.

da MUTT

Hi Jake, I have a Tascam 8516B which is basically an older version of your deck. Set the channel you want to record and put the machine into sync mode then while it is running in play push the record and play buttons together and it will punch beautifully as mine does . When you hit the two buttons again it will punch out.

:) Paul I think Jake was wanting the ability to "Autopunch" where he wouldn't have to do it manually while playing/recording.

da MUTT

Paulie said:
Hi Jake, I have a Tascam 8516B which is basically an older version of your deck. Set the channel you want to record and put the machine into sync mode then while it is running in play push the record and play buttons together and it will punch beautifully as mine does . When you hit the two buttons again it will punch out.
Yes...I know how to punch in and out, thanks anyway.

Back