Antidote to gearlust.......

As I lust over a new digital mixer (Presonus Studiolive 32 Series 3)...

Just wondering...why a digital mixer when you have all that tape gear, etc...?
I thought you were keeping it all analog....not that I have anything against digital...but just seems odd wanting the mixer to be digital. I mean, I can see dumping to a DAW...but anything to do with a console and tape and mixdowns...I would stay with an analog console...YMMV.

The owner, Chris, used to hang out here a few years ago.

Really...when was that?
I've been here since 2009...I don't recall Chris Mara hanging out here, unless it was before that, or he was hiding behind some forum name...?

Note to self:
When hiring a studio manager...make sure she's cute. :D
That's a nice looking little blonde...and she seems to know her way around the studio.
I bet she gives good phone too. :p

I've seen that video before. Lovely facilities.

Im a bit confused about the context of the title of this thread.
How would seeing that be any kind of an antidote????

That place is like a candy store! If anything it gives me gear envy.
:D

It's a myth anyway.
The only thing that stops gear lust is....death.

Lack of funds just slows you down...and you can always do credit. :D

Oct 2010...I must have missed him, but then, he didn't post all that much, and then he was gone.

Oh...get the ribbon mic. :)
Which one are you thinking of getting?

I couldn't help myself, and got the Rode NTR ribbon a while back . . . . not only does it sound lush, it is a work of engineering art

I was thinking of one of the MXL ribbons. The R80 or R144, but I'm open for suggestions. My main focus would be to record a trumpet.

The Rode NTR is out of my price range. Which I haven't really thought of but maybe less than $200.

Sorry been tied up....

The gear lust was because I'm thinking of selling up everything analogue because of personal circumstances............

I want to travel a bit and also be free of some of the things I've tied myself up in. I have to face up to a few facts.......

I enjoy writing......

I enjoy recording........

I hate modern life........with its lies, sycophants and hypocrites crawling out of every orifice and office...............often not purposely but by what I can only assume is evil working through the Edmund Burke adage that, 'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing'.

I want things to be simpler.......

I want things to be purer.........

I've got a lot of gear that needs to be shifted........

I don't really need the Presonus Studiolive Desk that's about to be launched.......

I have a RME Fireface UFX with two Behringer ADA8200.......this gives 20 XLR pres.....24 analogue INS and OUTS...probably up to 96kHz (I only use 44.1).....almost as much as the StudioLive and more than I'll ever need in a small 3U footprint. I also have a mint Yamaha AW2400 for flying faders and 24 track hardware...for keyboard I bought a Nektar Panorama P6 which when used with REASON is fabulous........I also have a Zoom R24 interface / recorder which can run off batteries.......I don't really need a 32 input desk / interface...........Sorry I'm using this thread to reason out the gearlust.....

If anyone in the UK is after an amazing setup, have a look on my Ebay listings...althemusicwizard | eBay.......I've made up my mind.......I can't face putting all this in storage......it has to go.

Hmm...
I guess there's a point...a crossroads (to sound cliché)...that we come to eventually, and especially for those of us that are still doing the analog/tape thing, that can be a rather hard moment, because changing direction does require the unloading of a lot of hardware...some of it maybe quite old and/or unique, so that adds yet another layer of complexity to that crossroads moment.
You either cut loose and change direction...or you dig in even deeper. :)

I've dug in deeper. :D
That said...I've had may hand in the digital world for 20 years now...and I've always had that "crossroads" moment in the back of my mind. I think as long as I stay put, and live where I live, etc...I'll stay dug in, with things as they are.
If/when I get to a point of downsizing my living situation, and/or a need to move...mmm...yeah...reducing the studio load might very well become attractive...but for now, like a tick on a dog's ass, I'm dug in deep with all my analog toys. :p

Well...good luck to you...hope you can get where you want to be without too much hassle.

Oh..even though I'm not in your neck of the woods...I clicked on your eBay link, just see...but there's nothing there...?

Sorry Miro......

Here's what I've put up:

UNIQUE STUDIO FOR SALE, TASCAM M3500 CONSOLE, FOSTEX G24S 1" TAPE RECORDERS | eBay

I don't know if I'll be able to sell it. I know how much it's cost me to get to this position........and it wasn't cheap.

I'm still thinking things thro' and leaving my options open. My studio is self-contained, so I could do the travelling bit, rent out the house and leave the studio exactly as it is. I am at that crossroads tho' when just staying still is not an option. I have over the years learned to trust my instinct more....it has always served me well. Problem is, I haven't just my life to think about.....I have a family with a teenager in the high school phase, so upping and off is not an option......But within a few years she will have flown the coup and it's thinking ahead that needs to be done now. Also, I don't really know if I'll ever get the musical on the stage that I've worked on. Maybe it should just exist as a recording.......Who knows? It just feels right to be thinking more long term rather than the muddling thro' that we've done for the last five years.

Back